Hours on newer MC motor

usaski1

• Baller

I would personally expect 1500 at a minimum and potentially up to 3K.

At the stage you are I would try to get a compression test done and keep records of that.  Maybe every year or 100 hours depending which is longer.  If you start seeing a drop you can be reasonably certain something might fail sooner not later so that can be a valuable test along with oil analysis.

You'll start to see compression issues if the valves and or rings and bores start to wear and you'll start seeing a shift in the material in the oil if the bearings or bottom end start to have issues.  You may also detect changes in blowby and similar if the rings are failing.

Either way the best way to use that data is to monitor it over time so starting to monitor the readings sooner rather than later will inform you of problems before you're out a boat midseason and let you prepare for the next steps.

• Baller

@usaski1 The engines in ski boats are essensially marinized GM pickup truck engines. The use for waterkiing is faily easy use, as they are build for working. As a basis of comparison, my 2016 truck has 4800 hrs/165,000 miles. I have put well over 1000 hrs on 3 of my boats with zero internal engine issues.  One of the ski schools in FL had a CC 200 with 4500 hrs on the engine, rebuild it, and ran it for another 2000 hrs before upgrading to a newer boat. Bottom line, change the oil as recommended by the manufacturer, and run the hell out of it! 

• Like 2

• Baller

My MV8 has got 1500hrs and runs like new, in the UK we'll quite often see 3k / 4k before engine swaps, one club I believe has 7k and still on the original engine (albeit they don't use it for the course anymore, it's a trick boat now)

• Baller
15 hours ago, pcmcon729 said:

@usaski1 The engines in ski boats are essensially marinized GM pickup truck engines. The use for waterkiing is faily easy use, as they are build for working. As a basis of comparison, my 2016 truck has 4800 hrs/165,000 miles. I have put well over 1000 hrs on 3 of my boats with zero internal engine issues.  One of the ski schools in FL had a CC 200 with 4500 hrs on the engine, rebuild it, and ran it for another 2000 hrs before upgrading to a newer boat. Bottom line, change the oil as recommended by the manufacturer, and run the hell out of it! 

Agree - I just checked my truck his because of this thread. 2018 5.3l, 3300hr, 175k km. I've changed plugs, oil changes, filter changes, thermostat... That's pretty much it. Had one coil replaced under warranty. I would imagine this engine would run easily into double this mileage/hours with basic regular maintenance.