Anne Bennett Ski School Warmup

JayShower

• Baller

I was at Bennett’s last week and asked Anne if I could record the warmup she does in the mornings for ski school and post it here. If anyone’s curious here it is (sorry about the quality, this isn’t TWBC):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ktl5Z4nbXmI

I think doing warmups is definitely a good idea before skiing, and is something everyone should do.

Also I highly recommend going to a ski school at the start of the season! I was able to learn without my old habits holding me back. I had one set where I regressed to skiing the same as the end of last season, and contrasting that with the better technique they taught me was amazing. Shoutout to Casper, thanks for all the coaching. The trick will be to keep skiing with good form without Casper helping me think about what I did wrong each pass!

• Baller

My god that brings back the memories. The best is the moans and groans about mid week, as well as the drop off of college kids showing up in the morning from having too much fun the night before!

• Like 1

• Baller_

I think it was Chet Raley that said “You spend the first three years learning how to ski, and the rest of your ski career trying to fix the stuff you learned the first three years.”

Lpskier

• Baller

great for fun but sports science does not support the need for warmups. plenty of studies showing pre game warmups are ineffective for increasing performance or decreasing injury. our bodies are generally "ready to go" at a moments notice. Its the brain that need stimulation to shift into high performance mode. 

• Haha 1

• Baller

+1 for static stretching post ski only, active warm up before.

I made this adjustment in the late 90’s coaching HS wrestling - switched away from static stretching at the beginning of practice to the end. Hard to prove it reduced injuries, but it seemed to help.   This was a change from what I was taught as a competitor during earlier decades…

• Like 1