Nautique KPA

Stevie Boy

• Baller

Hi Ballers

Nautique 200 (approx 2 years old)

Cautionary Info, we had a oil pump failure, which required a engine replacement, then with 800hrs it happened again, fortunately there was still some warranty left on the boat, we religiously change the oil and maintain the boat to a high level.

Oil pressure is indicated on the screen as KPA and not PSI, typically 140 KPA is Approximately 20 PSI

What I  am suggesting is that you monitor your KPA it might save you a new engine.

Our failures seemed to be instant not gradual though.

Hopefully the Engine suppliers, will get the issue sorted.

Edited by Stevie Boy
  • Like 1

• Baller

I work on a tons of different boats and I've never personally seen an oil pump failure. I mean, I know they happen and have heard of it happening, but your situation seems surprising and unusual.

Just a thought that comes to mind, are you sure you're not overfilling the oil? I ask because my experience is that marine dipsticks which have full length guide tubes are notorious hard to get accurate reading sometimes. Overfilling the oil can cause oil aeration which will lead to pump failures and other oil related issues. For all the boats I work on, I track pretty precisely how much oil comes out during a change and how much oil goes back in after the change, both initially and any additions between changes. I do that because I've found that especially on shared club boats, folks without a lot of engine experience will tend to misread the dipstick and start adding too much oil. By tracking it for each boat, I have good awareness of what's "normal" for each boat. Makes it easy to figure out when something unusual relative to oil starts going on. 

• Like 1

• Baller

It was a known issue on the 6L engines in 2019-20.  GM apparently got a bad batch of oil pumps from their supplier and I know of a few engines from both PCM and Ilmor that suffered failures, some worse than others.  Haven't heard of similar problems since then.

• Baller_

Not one but two identical oil pump failures?  Did both engines run 140 kpa oil pressure all the time and at slalom speeds?  800 hours in 2 years is impressive, lots of sets per year!