Easy way to add 55’s to floating course in river?

• Baller_

The EASIEST way to do it is to call Mike Suyderhoud at Accufloat and ask him for two pre-gate segments. Attach them to your existing cable, drop two new anchors and connect the new anchor lines to the new ends of the course at the 55s. Then your course is straight and your 55s are in precisely the right spot. If your 55’s are long or short, it will screw up your timing at any other course. 

@6balls My out move for my gate is timed off  the nose of the boat and the right hand 55 meter ball. 

Edited by lpskier
  • Like 2

Lpskier

• Baller

@lpskier fair--nose of the boat and which right hand gate ball, when you are standing precisely where, behind which boat, with which wake/trough?  I dig a 55m ball myself--love to have 55's but if I can't the left hand only 55 works for me.  There are some ways to do approximations in the event there are no 55m markers which are certainly better than "I think I'll pull out about now it looks right" which has terrible variability. 

I support your idea of getting the 55m distance right--or if not regulation may mess with you at other courses with proper 55m distance marked.  

• Baller_

Cut the correct length PVC pipe (width of gates and tad more). Pipe clamp it perpendicular to cable in the correct location. Run 2 fat rope lines from ends of PVC back to cable in a V form about 5-7’ up the cable. Use a tiny pipe clamp to secure ropes to cable. Ropes must be the exact same lengths at attachment points. Run some SS eye bolts though PVC at the ends and us whatever up lines u use on then rest of the course. Done. Under $30. We did this over 15yrs ago. Never had a problem. 

• Like 2

• Baller

Thank you all for the comments. I should have stated that I do not think there is enough room with the existing anchors/mainline, but I will need to double check as we start getting that stuff ready for the season. It would definitely be easiest in terms of accuracy and set/tup takedown if our mainline and anchor points are long enough to accommodate. Seems like it might also not be hard to add pre-gate segments.

Good stuff!

• Baller

If you are on public water and cannot leave the course in overnight, a golf or hunting style rangefinder will get you close enough, especially if your mainline segment is not long enough. 
Doesn't sound like that’s a problem for you though, but thought I’d throw that out for anyone with that issue. It’s super fast and accurate enough for a single day use porta-course

• Like 1

• Baller

We have been using a rangefinder to drop our 55m balls that stay in all season on our public course, used to use a piece of pre-measured rope but this is quick and easy.  Definitely want to put a good sub 3' down to make replacement easier.

• Like 3

• Baller
On 5/18/2023 at 7:23 PM, 6balls said:

Measure it out and drop a single anchored buoy in line with the left hand boat guides--you don't need the right hand 55.

This,this and this! BTDT.

Public course on a river.You probably have to repair the course sometimes,no need for more work.

Measure twice,drop a GOOD anchored buoy and ski!

• Like 3

My ski finish in 16.95 but my ass is out of tolerance!

• Baller_

If you are not adding a segment to your floating course but instead individually anchoring your 55s, if you have Sure Path, you can use it to accurately position your 55s. In that event, however, your 55s may be out of position if you adjust the tension on your course during the season. 

Lpskier