2019 Correct Craft on SIA, new powertrain just installed

RichardDoane

• Baller_

This boat had an unfortunate series of events lead to a cracked engine in last winter's deep freeze.  It had 900 hours on it previously, but now shows just over 8 hours due to the fresh powertrain.  6.2 L closed cooling system complete with new transmission and all the trimmings.  Well taken care of, and in excellent condition.  PM me, or call Matt Skoog, his number is in the SIA listing.

• Baller_

How did it get winter freeze damage to the engine with a closed cooling system?  Are the closed cooling systems running some version of coolant/antifreeze with a higher freeze point than automotive (which I thought was typically -34F to -50F)?  Or, were there some excessively cold days out there that exceeded that protection level?

The worst slalom equipment I own is between my ears.

• Baller

The term closed cooling is really incorrect.  At least the PCMs are what might be called semi closed.  Raw water still goes to a heat exchanger to cool the antifreeze that flows thru most critical parts.  And Raw water is used to cool the manifolds.   WIthout proper draining I can see how damage can definitely occur and if a freeze was hard enough to damage the heat echanger plumbing that could be very bad with water mixing with antifreeze.     

• Like 2

• Baller_

@MISkier  the original engine was not closed cooling system. It got really cold in Seattle at the beginning of winter. the boat had a couple of space heaters in it in December, but no one blocked open the engine compartment and opened up the observer's seat, and with the boat on a lift it froze like a popsicle.  that style of engine cover that seals to the floor has a down side of no airflow.  the heater core was also damaged up in front of the driver's feet but it's all good now.  The Hilltop club is a busy place, and runs a boat about 250 hours a season, so with about 900 hours total on that 2019, it's time to sell it and get another

Edited by RichardDoane
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1