Releasable trick binding

chrislandy

• Baller

Looking at the Edge Trick binding, its a non release, removable boot binding. 

It got me thinking, If you go hardshell on a trick, does the binding have to release? I can understand non release on hand pass as there's the trend to have a heal strap on the rear toe loop. but what about on toe pass?

I presume it's not necessarily needed on that either really as someone is pinning so the chances of needing the board to release are limited.

So, it a releasable trick binding essentially just there to make swapping between hand and toe boards and transport easier?

• Baller_

There is a small handful of high level trickers that use non-releasable bindings for hand pass, BUT they also have the rear foot strapped in.  For toes, and pretty much anyone below 10k points, you absolutely want a releasable binding.  Especially beginners that take sudden awkward falls, they will be glad the ski released.  For beginners I ususally set the release on a very easy setting, below the normal recommendation.

Even for an intermediate toe tricker and a good release person, there are falls that you could get hurt on if the ski doesn't release.

If it was easy, they would call it Wakeboarding

• Administrators

anybody done flips on the same ski they're doing toes has their release mechanism cranked near the limit anyway. 

if I had two skis, yes I would have my toes ski release set pretty loose. if I was using one ski for both passes, you just got to trust your pin person. I'm okay with non-releasable.

• Baller_

I guess I should clarify what I mean by getting "hurt".  Even in a non-release fall, real injuries are very rare.  The reason I set a release tension low for beginners is that its very common to catch an edge and SLAM into the water.  The skier doesn't get "injured", but those falls really don't feel good.  It may not take too many of those slams before the skier decides tricks aren't that much fun after all.  But if the skier catches an edge and the ski releases, its like falling into a pillow.  Its a minor annoyance to put the ski back on, but a small price to pay IMO.

Once as skier gets the basics down and doesn't catch edges very often, then crank up the release tension.  When skiers start doing flips, that is usually the point where they have separate toe and hand skis.

For toes, even advanced skiers can catch an edge, although rarely.  Even with a good release person, the risk of injury is small, but does go up.  Those quick slams with your knees in awkard positions don't feel good.  Particularly when learning toe wake line tricks, wrap-ins, and higher level toe tricks, being able to come out of the ski is a wise thing.

Edited by Bruce_Butterfield

If it was easy, they would call it Wakeboarding

• Baller

That's the thing, I'm 50/50 on whether it's needed (hence the question).

The reasoning behind thinking about it was that I've just finished building the kids trick ski and it weighs about 77oz complete with release plate and toe loop, but take the release off and it's about half that.

• Baller

12yr old, 80lb soaking wet.

Not got an official score yet as hasn't competed but adding up what he can do, he's around 890, not massively high but working steadily on the basics without progressing too quickly (as per coaches instructions) he's just started TB and hopefully will get his W0 over the summer.

• Supporting Member

I agree with having a release. I prefer to have it a little tighter than recommended. I watched a friend of mine prerelease and tore his acl. My attitude is if it’s a releasable fall it will. 

• Baller

Pre-relasing for a kid under 1000 points would be very unusual.

When I say early release, it is a fall where the trick gets off but there was no injury risk. Annoying for the skier, but safer  

I would say that most likely releaser was on the slow side, and/or  too strong a grip on the release rope for your friend. 

Edited by ral