Sure Path Rule change

lpskier

• Baller_

Heads up: IWWF just approved a change to Rule 8.15. Rule change as applied to L events still only applies to -38 and shorter. The biggest clarification is that on a mandatory reride on an incomplete pass with a positive deviation, you have a protected score up to the last buoy in tolerance and can only improve to the original score skied in the out-of-tolerance incomplete pass. Previously, your ability to improve was only limited if the last buoy the skier went around in the incomplete pass was the buoy that was out of tolerance. The rule book will not be immediately updated. The rule goes into effect on June 10. 

• Like 1

Lpskier

• Baller_

@wski1831 The rule has two applications: 1. If you ran the pass and 2. If you didn’t. 

Let’s  say you make it to 4@38 but your positive deviation at 4 was out of tolerance but you were in tolerance through 3. You have a mandatory reride with a protected score of 3, but your best outcome is a 4, even if you run the pass on the reride. 

If you ran the first pass with a score of 6 but you were out of positive tolerance at 4, you have a mandatory reride with a protected score of 3 but if you again run the pass on the reride  you can continue, and if you don’t run the pass but make it past 3, you get scored as far as you go. 

In an L tournament, of course, this only applies -38 and shorter. In an R, it applies -28 and shorter. It is not clear to me whether this rule applies to class E. The AWSA Rule Book says the tolerances specified in rule 8.15 of the IWWF rule book apply to class E events , but strictly speaking, this isn’t a tolerance rule, it’s a protected score and how/when you progress.. I guess we need an interpretation. 

Lpskier

• Baller
1 hour ago, lpskier said:

Let’s  say you make it to 4@38 but your positive deviation at 4 was out of tolerance but you were in tolerance through 3. You have a mandatory reride with a protected score of 3, but your best outcome is a 4, even if you run the pass on the reride. 

...even though you stood up at 4 because of slack and no rope 😉

• Like 2

• Baller

Does seem like the skier is being punished for a driver error. I’m good with the protected score while in tolerance but the case could be made, pretty easily, that the driver error caused the missed pass.

But, I’m not a -38 and shorter skier, so maybe I’m wrong. I was just thinking exactly what @Dragosaid

Edited by aupatking