S-Lines differences and personal preference

RT1

• Baller

I've been using the R3 Series (least stretch) so far this year and it's been great, when you hook up, you go.  Just for grins and giggles I'm toying with the idea of trying either or both, the S Series (most stretch) or the Competition Series (medium stretch).  Has anyone done a comparison between the three and can tell me if you feel a difference and what is is.   Pros / Cons?  The S Series sounds intriguing.  More curious about the differences between the least and most stretch, but I welcome all opinions and personal reviews.  Would one be more "forgiving"?

• Baller

Line lengths and speed? <- probably really important as we are talking feet of rope here.

I just put a brand new Competition Series S-Lines on the pylon yesterday at 28 off, ran a bunch of 28s and 32 at 34mph. Simply replacing my previous rope for this season, not hoping for miracle cures or anything, and just trying out a new supplier. Coming off of a 1 season old black ML line (the ML "pro" line) there was zero negative difference, as in the new rope felt great out of the box on set #1, FWIW. I didn't "feel" a difference good or bad but skied well generally. 

• Like 1

• Baller

I have the medium stretch (comp) rope from S lines after many years using the ML mainline pro, and I really like it. Firm enough to give a stable and consistent pull, but just enough give to make it feel really easy on the joints and allow good acceleration into the first wake. Much less bouncy than the ML optimised and an absolute bargain imo.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• Baller

I sometimes ski behind a perfect pass boat which I enjoy but when I ski behind a zero off boat I feel a stiffer stronger pull that can be less forgiving (this is often the case in tournaments).

Would using the less stretch series rope behind the perfect pass boat give a closer simulation to the zero-off boat with a medium series stretch rope?

Or am I way off the mark with this thinking?

• Baller

You can call Scott at S Lines. He is very approachable and can answer your questions right on the spot. The new X line seems to be an improved version of R, just a hair softer hook up off the ball maybe. Got to ski it at Lake 38 last weekend. Felt great. One thing to consider if you ski tournaments is what ropes are currently being used in your area tournaments. That may affect your choice of what you choose to practice with.

• Baller_

@Jibbo That is a very interesting question: Does less power with a stiffer rope = more power with a stretchy rope? I would think that more power with a stretchier rope would make the rope feel more stretchy given the same lean angle and direction.

I’m sure there are folks on this forum that can answer the question using calculus, but I, the English and history major, would just go give it a try and see how it felt. 

Please report back. 

Lpskier

• Baller

Assuming the boat has Z-Box then yes the boat feeling you is going to respond to you so the sooner the boat feels you the more it will respond.

But how do you respond to knowing the line is coming tight?  Do you tense up and prepare for it more?  Do you wait for it before loading?  I would think the clearest option would be to stay with your current line and tweak the settings in PP.  Tell it you are heavier than you are, pump up the KX, bump up the Zbx, bump up the ABC Adj.  All of those things are going to give you more boat sooner on PP.  Mechanically you could also tweak some things with the linkage like moving the linkage up on the throttle arm or adding another return spring, or repropping but those ones before are all non-invasive

• Baller

I am skiing behind our 87 MC Pro Star 190 PS that we bought new.  I installed Perfect Pass on the boat when it first came out so that is the speed control that we are using.  I don't ski tournaments anymore, but if I did I would be in Men's 7.  I set the Perfect Pass to 33 mph just because I just don't want to set it to 32 yet.  I usually run right up the line and get a few at 35, on a good day deep 35, every now and then I'll run 35.  Haven't run 35 yet this year.  The R3 Series rope is probably more like any of the ropes I've used in the past so that's why I bought it, but I think I'm going to give the most stretch S Series a try to see what happens.  

• Baller
On 6/11/2023 at 4:31 PM, Jibbo said:

Would using the less stretch series rope behind the perfect pass boat give a closer simulation to the zero-off boat with a medium series stretch rope?

Slightly off topic, but it would be negligible, if really at all. A switch, for instance, triggers at 40#. How much sooner do you get to 40# with a rope?
My firsthand experience: saying you weigh more will just get you faster times.  Turn of Stargazer, get a switch, raise your KX, a lot, run at least 40 on the switch. The problem is still with the gate. PP goes in hot and lets you pull it down. ZO does not.

or, from what I hear, get Zbox, spend all summer getting it dialed-in, then Bob's your uncle👊

• Baller_

@Drago, the ZO plus setting will give you a hot gate speed and let you pull it down into one ball.  Regular ZO has a .8% above set speed factor for the gate.  The plus setting has a 1.6% above set speed for the gate, essentially doubling the amount over actual that ZO will bring you into the gate.

It's true that the plus setting also does a lot of other things to the responsiveness of ZO at every buoy as well, but it does affect the gate in the manner you mentioned.

The worst slalom equipment I own is between my ears.

• Baller_

@Drago, that is possible, as I know they did change the behavior of the plus setting (supposedly to be like "Trick mode") in Rev S.  I have not seen the chart on Rev S and it may have eliminated or altered the additional gate speed.  The current Driver Clinic materials do not have the newer chart and still just cover Rev R.

The worst slalom equipment I own is between my ears.