Ski size advice

Vitali

• Baller

Hi all,

I’m an intermediate 57 year old skier. I have been skiing on an HO truth 66” since the ski came out.  It’s been hard work. I don’t course ski and am using an inboard/ outboard boat that struggles to hit 34mph. I’m seriously looking at the HO omega max or the HO Carbon Omni in order to just run some enjoyable free passes around the lake in Ontario, Canada. I’m 5’11 and 185lbs. Firstly, which ski would you all recommend and secondly, what size? I’m looking at 67”-68”. I would appreciate any help. Thanks.

• Baller

You and I are the same height / weight and I have skied both the 67 inch carbon omni and 67 omega max. Both have a lot of surface area and should work well if your boat can hold steady at a minimum of 32mph. Demo both if you can.

Edited by S1Pitts
spelling
  • Like 2

• Baller

At 5"11, 185, you could ride a traditional 67" ski, but I think with the other variables you mentioned you'd be better off on a traditional 68" ski.  A traditional 66" ski is too small.  If the ski is designed a little wider than traditional, then a 67" ski would probably work.  Look at the manufacturer weight and speed recommendation for the skis and make sure you are erring on the side of getting a bigger ski if it's close.  IMO.    

Edited by jjackkrash
  • Like 1

• Baller
12 minutes ago, S1Pitts said:

You and I are the same height / weight and I have skied both the 67 inch carbon omni and 67 omega max. Both have a lot of surface area and should work well if your boat can hold steady at a minimum of 32mph. Demo both if you can.

That’s great advice. Would it be fair to say that if my boat is more comfortable at 28-30 mph, then a 68” ski would be a better fit.

• Baller
14 minutes ago, jjackkrash said:

At 5"11, 185, you could ride a traditional 67" ski, but I think with the other variables you mentioned you'd be better off on a traditional 68" ski.  A traditional 66" ski is too small.  If the ski is designed a little wider than traditional, then a 67" ski would probably work.  Look at the manufacturer weight and speed recommendation for the skis and make sure you are erring on the side of getting a bigger ski if it's close.  IMO.    

Thanks. That’s my thinking. Slower boat= longer and wider ski would work better? Does that make sense? For my size HO recommends a 67”. But are manufacturer size charts based on an average skiing speed?

• Baller

+1 for considering a 68. Need a larger ski to get the same lift/speed/performance as the boat slows and considering your height & weight.   Either of your options you should love for what you're doing. Enjoy!  

• Like 1

• Baller
1 hour ago, Vitali said:

Thanks. That’s my thinking. Slower boat= longer and wider ski would work better? Does that make sense? For my size HO recommends a 67”. But are manufacturer size charts based on an average skiing speed?

If you are at the small-for-the-ski end (but inside) of the tolerance on one of the wider skis you should be good going slower speeds.  Most manufacturers indicate a speed range or a max speed along with weight range on the size charts.  

• Like 1

• Baller

If you want a fun time at the lake behind an IO, don’t get an Omega Max or other high level ski. The mid level Omni or Senate are good but you don’t need that nice of a ski for what you are doing. IOs are tough to ski behind because their acceleration out of the hole is horrible and the wake is bad. Therefore, you want a ski that gets up really easy and can ski between 32-34 mph since the wake gets smaller and higher speeds. I would avoid the super wide skis designed for 28-30mph. Something like a base level 67 HO Omni or 67 Radar Senate Alloy would work real well. The Radar Union or HO Omni Max would be better for you deep water starts but your speed goes down a bit and that means those IO wakes are higher. Comes down to if you would rather have slightly easier deep water starts or better wakes once up.

Edited by vtmecheng
  • Like 1

• Baller

@Vitali I understand your uncertanty regarding size because the current sizing chart HO has does not include speed / weight ranges for the skis you asked about. 

What it comes down to is how aggressively you are sking at any particular speed. If you are casual and spend 50% of the time following behind the boat then you will need the larger size. However if you are skiing in reasonably good form on a line15 off or shorter, then you can concider going with the smaller ski. Once again demo not only the model of ski but sizes if possible.

Edited by S1Pitts
typos
  • Like 1

• Baller

Thanks everyone for all the great advice. It’s greatly appreciated. I managed to get a great deal on a 2023 HO CARBON OMEGA MAX 68”. Will give it a shot . Hopefully it’s a good fit.  Will keep you posted. Happy skiing to everyone. Enjoy your summer!