Why can’t they?

LoopSki

• Baller

The right kind of glass might work. Not sure if impeller would be polishing it or scratching it as it rotates. Probably depend on how much silt or grit is in the water.

Question is would a transparent cover encourage 'she'll be right for a bit longer' poor maintenance? 

I've often wondered about one of these https://engineguard.com.au/ to catch the loose or blown water pipe scenario where the in engine block water sensor might not due to lack of water

• Baller

Cheap part, easy to replace. So I just replace mine regularly per the owner’s manual recommended interval. Though I’m sure they are far from the end of their service life at that point, it keeps me from worrying about them and that’s well worth the expense. 

• Like 2

• Baller
4 hours ago, LoopSki said:

What do you guys think? I rather not deal with the struggle to remove and replace right now. Last time it was a bitch.  2017 Prostar. 

4618AA19-DD01-4EE9-B4C8-232E6FC03101.jpeg

Replace it now. Because it's cheap and because it's easy and because it's very cheap engine insurance. While you're doing it make sure you put on a new gasket as based on the corrosion it looks like old one may have been leaking

• Baller
8 hours ago, jedgell said:

Not familiar with the MC but with the Nautiques I’ve had it’s a quick and easy job. Maybe 20 mins.  I just spend the $40 and change out each year so I don’t have to worry about it. 

PCM makes impeller replacement much easier than Ilmor. I can typically do the 200 in less than 15 minutes. On the ProStar it takes me twice as long and I use the impeller puller on the ProStar. On the MasterCraft Wakeboat, I pull the whole pump because that's the fastest way in the end. 

Edited by jpwhit
  • Like 1

• Baller
9 hours ago, LoopSki said:

What do you guys think? I rather not deal with the struggle to remove and replace right now. Last time it was a bitch.  2017 Prostar. 

4618AA19-DD01-4EE9-B4C8-232E6FC03101.jpeg

I don't think you can really tell by looking at the end of the impeller. The first place you start to loose pieces is in the center of the vanes and you simply can't see that from the end. 

• Baller

Worth replacing before the season starts, I  don,t know about the prostar but on a nautique the tone of the engine changes, it becomes a bit more throaty, giving you a indication.it needs to be replaced.

Let me think, do I want to take the pain and replace it, or do I want to potentially damage the engine, umm🙄

Edited by Stevie Boy
  • Like 2

• Baller

Outboards have a telltale for a reason, so long as there is flow coming out you know the pressure is high enough.  You could also do this with an LED so I would say the surprise is we don't have a way to be alerted that the pressure from the inlet pump dropped off.  

Hot tubs have one of these, if the flow isn't sufficient they shut off power to the heater.

image.png

• Baller

I went 6 seasons with my new Merc 200 outboard (2015 new) when I decided to rebuild the water pump. You have to pull the lower unit from the motor. Remove the water pump housing to get at the impeller and to my surprise the impeller looked brand new. I replaced it anyway giving me peace of mind for the next 6, maybe 7 seasons. After all it took to inspect the old impeller I wasn't about to not replace it. Depending on the lake water temp my motor runs 110 to 130 degrees here in Florida. Peace of mind baby.

Ernie Schlager

• Baller

I installed a PCM impeller for my GT-40 and got 4 seasons of good service. When I removed it there were no cracks, it was still soft and it is now living in my glove box as a spare. I noticed that my boat was running a bit warmer than usual so I had a look and found the PCM replacement I installed last season is looking pretty rough. Same lake, same water, no changes to use of boat, same storage procedure. So now I am thinking the impeller PCM is supplying is possibly not as good as the "older" ones. I had a simular experience when I used a generic replacement impeller. Pulling and inspecting is now going to happen annually.  

• Baller

I have had the impeller fail in the middle of a big lake. I also replace once a year. If the impeller implodes, the rubber pieces clog the cooling system and are very difficult to remove completely. Replace it as good insurance.

• Like 1

• Baller

I have a large collection of pretty much mint impellers from changing them over the years. 

I have had two failures in the Sherwood style PCM 351 pumps, both were the rubber separating from the hub which is an instant 100% failure! They look perfect otherwise. So a visual inspection wouldn't really help.

I change them every 2 seasons or so.

• Baller_

My ski tug uses the belt driven Jabsco pump.  Had a bearing failure a few years back, locked the pump, the belt started squealing like a castrated pig coupled with a giant cloud of blue smoke billowing from the motor box.  That's a slightly more exciting way to stop your raw water intake stream at 36 mph:-)

• Heterodox 1

• Baller

I squirt a little dish soap between the vanes, pull the safety cord out so the engine won't start, then turn the engine a few times to get the soap distributed around. If I know I am not going to keep the impeller I used needle nose pliers and pull it out. When it is lubed up with the soap it usually comes out much easier. If I just want to inspect the impeller I still usually have to use the needle nose pliers to get it out but am more careful -- i.e. I don't use as much pressure and pull it out more slowly. 

• Baller

Son of a bitch. Should have left alone. I was afraid this  would happen. Cannot for the life on me get the impeller in without knocking out the key. Zip tied impeller , greased, wd40. Released tension on belt to move to 12. Knocks it off or jams it sticking  up. I must have tried 50 times and whole pack of zip ties. Many hours later, ran out of time and going camping boatless. Thanks guys for the bad advice to just change it!!’ Lol. Should have left good enough alone to make it through the weekend. If you haven’t changed one on an ilmore you don’t know!

Edited by LoopSki
  • Haha 1

• Baller

I know! Sore and pissed. Should have took pump off. I just ran out of time. I also got it first time. Second I assumed i was golden since I had all the tricks down. But after 3 hours and alot of swear words , I had to make the decision to get to campsite. 

• Baller
10 hours ago, Stevie Boy said:

"Now I gotta sit on the shore with all the broke dicks"

Nice !

There maybe people less fortunate, than some, but I am sure most of them are good people.

I was just joking. But if I don’t get the impellar in today, I’m just gonna buy a new boat! 

• Like 1

• Baller

Figured it out. One simple thing oversight! After you move the pump spindle to 12. Re engage the belt so it wont move as you re install the impeller. Wish i would realized this yesterday!!!!

Edited by LoopSki
  • Like 1