US Nationals LCQ Rule

JayShower

• Baller

Hi! I saw this description under the nationals qualification page:

LCQ (Last Chance Qualification) - After the Cut-off-Date, 'LCQ' qualification occurs when, either: a) your Rank Value [Ranking Score] exceeds the 'Locked' COA for this tournament or b) when you get a score (in any of the specified qualifying tournaments that exceeds the 'Locked' COA for this tournament . Also see the Regional Web Sites since LCQ Qualification methods vary by Tournament and Region. 

I wasn’t able to find online on the AWSA Midwest website what tournaments count as one of the “specified qualifying tournaments”. Was hoping someone on ballofspray could show me where these tournaments are listed or had the answer.

IMG_2820.jpeg

• Baller_

Here is the rule.  Basically, the qualifying tournaments for your National Ranking average are any class C or above (including Regional Championships or other E,L,R sanctioned tournaments).

A skier may also qualify for Nationals after the Cut Off Date by increasing his Ranking List Average above the Level 8 Cut Off Average for his respective event and division between the Cut Off Date and Nationals; or by attaining a score equal to or greater than the Level 8 Cut Off Average for his respective event and division at the Regional Tournament or at any class C or above event between the Cut-Off Date and the first day of Nationals or by being ranked Level 8 at any point between the Cut-Off Date and the first day of Nationals.

I believe you also receive qualification for a podium finish at this year's Regionals or a podium finish at the prior Nationals.

The top five non-elite-qualified skiers in each age division or overall at the current year’s Regionals or previous year’s Nationals shall qualify for Nationals.

If you are not qualified now, you basically need to raise your average or get at least one score above the level 8 cutoff score.  Then, you must attend a Regionals and achieve skiing position to be able to attend Nationals.  You also could attend Regionals (assuming you qualify for that, but didn't have a level 8 average or score) and achieve a podium finish or score above the level 8 cutoff to qualify for Nationals.

There is one other way that you could achieve a level 8 average without increasing your own scores.  If your current average is close to level 8 and the scores of your division suddenly lower the level 8 cutoff score before the first day of Nationals such that your average exceeds it, you would qualify.  Of course, this would depend on a sudden influx of novice skiers posting scores that reduce the level 8 cutoff average score.  And, you would still have had to attend Regionals and achieve skiing position.

Edited by MISkier

The worst slalom equipment I own is between my ears.

• Baller

So I just want to double check this means I’m qualified for nationals, pending participation in regionals? And it doesn’t matter what score I get at regionals? I also just got a score of 86 buoys but don’t think it will be in the system for a few days.

IMG_3053.jpeg

• Baller_

Your score at Regionals has no adverse impact on your Nationals qualifications as long as you attend Regionals and achieve skiing position.

The QFY-RPR indicator shows you are qualified for Nationals pending that Regional participation.  The OK qualifier shows how you qualified.

I think your qualification occurred because your high score at some point exceeded the level 8 cutoff average for your division, although the current level 8 cutoff average for your division is higher than your scores.  The 86 you received tonight (I was also there and saw it from shore) was great skiing.

• Like 1

The worst slalom equipment I own is between my ears.

• Baller

I just went through this same experience. It's very confusing. The rule and cut-off date are extremely ambiguous, but I (too) qualified by skiing one score higher than the Level 8 cut-off. If you look at the national rankings list and poke around enough at others' scores, you'll see how skiers like me (mike maxson M4) qualify with a single score vs raising our averages above the cut-off. 

Congrats!