PCM transmission question

FLeboeuf

• Baller

Hey Ballers!

Here is the story first: I changed my transmission on my 200 for the new PCM 80A in 2021 during covid. There were no more parta for the 40. I put 230 hours on it since then and oil started to leak at the back bottom… no damages thank god. I noticed in time but the mecanic took it apart and realized that there no gaskets or seals. Freaking silicone or « crazy glue » like he said laughing. Not so funny if you run it with no oil long enough to f*#% up your almost new transmission.

Has anybody had the same issue? What did PCM say?  Its frustrating that I have to pay for that…

• Baller

Many mfg of power train components have done away with gaskets (I am talking industrial gearboxes in heavy equipment) so I would not be surprised at all if they have gone this route on the tranny. We have use Loctite gasket Eliminator for years now with little issue. This was probably a result of poor prep of the mating surfaces during assembly.

• Baller
11 hours ago, rockdog said:

What do you mean no gaskets, like NO gaskets? Who installed it?

Gaskets have dimensions.  Set up a Porsche transmission sometime and the process involves carefully measuring all the gaskets as you take apart the case.  You need to then find gaskets that maintain the dimensions so that the gear mesh is depthed the same on reassembly.  The cases are all machined so flat that you put just a bare smear of a sealant and they don't leak.

Very different than older stuff where the surfaces needed gaskets to take up the dimensional flaws and seal the surfaces.

• Like 1

• Baller

Update. I talked on the phone with my mecanic to get more details because he had only texted me. Turns out the seal where the shaft goes in was misplaced…plus in front of that there is a metal plate sealed with silicone and he thinks there was not enough of it. So most likely a bad assembly from the manufacturer.🤬