New comp vest time

vtmecheng

• Baller

Time for a new comp vest. I know this has been discussed and brands like Stokes and Eagle are commonly recommended. I am 6 foot 4 inches and only 180 pounds with a 39 inch chest, so tall and thin. Can anyone recommend a good comp vest for my body type? I like a tighter fit and need a bit more flotation, my body sinks easily.

I did try the O’Neil Slasher medium tall. First one I tries I couldn’t get the zipper to even start it was so tight and second one of the same size was so loose that the upper half wasn’t even touching me. Seems there are manufacturing issues these days.

• Baller

@jedgell I am leaning towards the Stokes but am not sure if they are long enough or if I’d be medium or large for that snug course fit. I asked here because someone may have a better idea for the tall thin guy options.

Edited by vtmecheng

• Baller

Stokes vest is the only comp vest I have ever had that actually floated me properly. All others I had to tread water slightly to keep water from getting in my nose. I will say I am very thick muscled and have never been able to float very well.

I had Eagles in the past but had to have them custom made with extra floatation to keep my nose and mouth above water.

I am a Stokes fan all the way. It floats me and is very comfortable.

Tom Smothers (Oldmanskier)

• Baller

I just picked up a SlingShot vest model TeamV8.  Popular with boarders its  comfortable and long in the torso with one strap. Only have a few days using it but so for I really like it.   The price from Wakehouse was excellent.  

Screenshot_20230702-084914.png

• Baller
21 hours ago, vtmecheng said:

@jedgell I am leaning towards the Stokes but am not sure if they are long enough or if I’d be medium or large for that snug course fit. I asked here because someone may have a better idea for the tall thin guy options.

Will get my Stokes Velocity X in 2 weeks and can let you know.I ordered an XL and i'm 6'2'' 194 lbs.

Edit: FWIW  I ordered from Miami Nautique website,Perf don't have the Stokes vest. It took 17 days,2 text messages and an e mail from Thomas Asher to have them ship my vest. They did apologize.

The 2 weeks delay is because i'm in Canada and i had the vest shipped to a friend in US who will bring it across soon.Saving on Intl shipping and taxes.

Edited by Andre

My ski finish in 16.95 but my ass is out of tolerance!

• Baller

I have the same vest as @RAWSki. They are a kite boarding company on the Columbia River. A little more flotation than others, good rib protection, a nice safety buckle. Most like the old Straightline vest at a reasonable cost .

• Like 2

• Baller

I have used. Radar Tidal in XL, Stokes evo2 in L and Syndicate Rebel in XL.  The Syndicate one has the best floatation and coverage out of the 3 followed by the Radar. The Stokes is the most conformable, but I have more peace of mind with the Syndicate and the Radar. The Radar was the longest followed by the Stokes and the Syndicate is the shortest.

I am 185cm and 86kg.

• Baller
2 hours ago, vtmecheng said:

Just so there’s no misunderstanding, Thomas sent me an email with recommendation this morning. Good to go.

What size did he recommand and are you ordering from Stokes direct ?

• Baller

I happened to be at a lake shop that has a Follow and the Hyperlite branded HO Rebel. Figured why not try them on for a size comparison. The medium Follow was  okay around the chest but not tight enough at the bottom, it would definitely flip up on me. The medium HO was better in both chest and waste but the bottom V shape is such that it seems like it would easily flip up there. The HO would probably be fine but I think there have to be better options. We will see…

• Baller

Full week now skiing with my new Stokes vest. Love it! Float really well and the XL fit perfect for me at 6'2'' ,195 lbs and i always wear a Blackteech Camaro while skiing (Even with 80 water!). No more reajusting after every pass while in water.

Great vest!

Edited by Andre

• Baller

@ALPJr I have that vest, as well as my son.  I really like it for slalom.  However, I trick ski a lot and the stupid flotation panels get all turned around and twisted when I fall...which is a bunch.  It's very frustrating and have stopped using it for the most part.  My son is now tricking, and when he got in the boat last night we had a good laugh as 6-7 of his flotation panels were all jacked up from his numerous falls.

Edited by Sethro

• Baller

Just switched from an eagle to camaro this season, after trying one of my ski partners camaro vest.  Love the fit and feel, but most importantly I love the padding.  I tend to get some lean lock situations and my ribs have hit the wake quite a few times.  The camaro padding has been the most protective vest I have used, and I love how it gives plenty of shoulder flexibility. 

• Baller

On the topic of the rolling foam in the sewn-in vest pockets  - I have also wondered why manufacturers do not bond one side of the foam to one side of the vest material prior to sewing it together, so at least the foam will stay in place.  Yea, yea.....the almighty dollar.  But in all truth that is one of my issues with most vest designs.

• Baller

Second year with a Stokes vest.  No complaints,  Fits just as good today as it did on day one.  super comfortable, foam stays in place, stitching is all intact, colors have not faded, floats me sufficiently.  Just really good vest overall.

• Baller
On 7/3/2023 at 10:03 AM, ALPJr said:

I would like to hear about this vest as well. I'm currently using the older version (with two straps). I went to this vest because it has better rib protection than most vests and floats me better as well. I've had it for about 4 years and it's still ok, but will eventually need a new one and they have changed the design...

• Baller

@Roger @ALPJr

I tried the new Outlaw. It is cut differently than the old 2 strap one that I was retiring. I found it did not fit me well and the smaller arm holes were a bother when reaching. It looked well made but the buckle strap does not go all the way around the vest and is sewn in which could be a problem in time. As with most brands make sure to try it on wet. They change shape when wet.

I ended up with the Radar Drifter and was a bit sceptical not having at least one buckle. After skiing 1/2 a season  I am happy with it's overall performance , fit, comfort and floatation. Zipper has never opened up while skiing but neither have I had any bad tumbles wearing it.