Swiss Pro Slalom - Sunday, May 5th, 2024

Click Here for the webcast

Aviv Levy sets new cable ski slalom record at 5@9.50m (44off)

jgills88

• Baller

Just saw on Waterski Nation's instagram that this happened this weekend. I have zero knowledge of cable slalom, but thought this was cool.

Anyone more in the know have more context for what this means for the sport?

- Has Levy competed behind boats?

- How does cable ski compare to traditional 3-Event?

- Any guesses at how well top boat slalomers would do on a cable?

• Baller

I was aware of the activity, but had no idea it was sanctioned by any organization and thus unaware of records, rules, rope lengths or speeds.  Can anyone shed light on these tbings?

Edit:  I did find that IWWF lists "Cableski" as a discipline, however I could find no further info other than one sanctioned event in Sept in Germany.  Couldn't find any reference to rules.

Edited by LeonL

• Baller

https://www.cableski.org/Rules.asp 

Its a mute point however in the US I'm not aware of a single cable park here that has the ability to pull it I've been to a few parks and they can only go about 20-22 mph on the cable and are far smaller than required for a course to be installed.  It works like IWWF slalom 15' until you reach a divisional speed, and then they have 34 and 36 mph - but again cannot do that in the states unless there is a park I am unaware of with those speeds.  

Skiing the cable is very different I've only trick skied on it and I've done that a number of times but for instance my local place the cable runs most of the day at just over 20mph, they slow it down for a few small bits of the day but that's down to 16mph its like adult swim at the pool for 15 minutes.  I don't normally ride my trick ski at 16 or 20 so its either fast and slippery or slow and loose.  

I'm sure a top slalom skier could do OK at cable slalom because they're athletes - Joel Poland would probably slay it.  But I don't think there is much in the way of carry over even on the trick ski the muscles even are extremely different.

• Like 1

• Baller

@BraceMaker They can run the speeds 34mph and 36mph but generally owners like to keep the speed down, when they run it at higher speeds, it cause issues with the guides/bearings and increases maintenance + breakdowns.

They earn more money, with less issues, operating slower speeds  and towing up to eight wakeboarders at a time.

Thorpe Ski in the UK, used to operate slalom on the cable, but not now, wakeboarders are where the money is.

I used to slalom on the cable and then decided to ski behind the boats, what a wake up call, it took me a while to adapt, with the cable it,s a softer pull , you can literally lay on the line, not sure but there must be 1-2 metre give, if not more in the line.

When other people are on the cable "Scenario" You are going down the front side , somebody coming down the back stretch, gives it a tug at the right time ,they can send you straight out the front.

It is normal etiquette to stay in a straight line down the back stretch, but there is always some Joker around who thinks it's funny, unless it's competition, then it doesn't happen.

• Like 1

• Baller

Technique looks really different and can see in the few drone shots that the cable gets pulled sideways.

Wonder if anyone has tried rails anchored to manmade lakebed and a towing dolly with a vertical pylon/skeg?  

• Baller
56 minutes ago, 03RLXi said:

Wonder if anyone has tried rails anchored to manmade lakebed and a towing dolly with a vertical pylon/skeg?  

If you were going to pull this off I think clearly you approach a roller coaster manufacturer and you have the track suspended above like an inverted rollercoaster with a cart running below it above the water surface.  Track could be shaped like a dog bone and have two parallel runs with the pylon offset to run down the middle and you could have two carts that alternated down the lake.  The power requirement would be drastically reduced and it would get all sedimented up.  You could have lights for night skiing.  Starting docks on both ends.  

Figure out how to have the carts charge like electric go karts and have some form of rack or gear drive on each kart so the skier could have their own speed settings 

I think it would work and not be that technically challenging but youd need to do this at some sort or extremely high volume training center and it would need to be near a huge human population probably something like houston warm enough to be used year round

• Thanks 1