Cheapest school/way to ski in winter?

Slalom.Steve

• Baller_

I ski in Indiana, which means I have to suffer through 5 months of not skiing every winter. Unacceptable, I say. So I'm trying to figure out how to get on the water for some days or even a couple weeks sometime in December thru January. "Go to a ski school, dummy!" Sure, of course, but I also don't make a lot of money and don't want to spend a bunch on top-tier coaching for a random week in winter (and I typically do a 3-4 day ski school trip in early summer, so that's already one expensive trip per year).

So what's the cheapest ski school/cheapest way to ski in winter? I don't care about quality of coaching, I don't even care about coaching at all, I just want to ski!

• Baller

Depending on how far you'd want to drive, you could get an out of state permit for Okeeheelee, according to the parks website you can drop an out of state boat for just over $200 for the year. Of course you'd have to budget out lodging and towing costs.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&opi=89978449&url=https://discover.pbcgov.org/parks/PDF/Amenities/OkeeSkiPermit.pdf&ved=2ahUKEwjSo-Om7cuAAxWMsoQIHUnlAzsQFnoECBgQAQ&usg=AOvVaw3_UGv2pLT4JaQHS3fhQ8of

Ski School wise, maybe check out Swerve Watersports in Tennessee.  Mike Bullock is a great coach and offers reasonable prices throughout the year. You'd have to double check availability though, he likes to go snow skiing in the winter!

You could also invest in a good dry suit and ski at home rather than go anywhere else. 

• Baller_

At LaPoint Ski Park, a totally off the street guest pays $50 a set. A guest of a member pays $3.20 a minute, which usually is $35 a set. You can also join as an out of town member ($1000 annually last I knew) and pay $1.60 a minute. 

Sets are usually six passes, but if we aren’t busy, have at it. 

Minutes are based on a device that only measures time when the motor is running. So with the boat shut off at the ends, you aren’t paying for your rest time. It’s actually a very good system. 

In December and January, we aren’t very busy, so it’s a good time to ski.  

Edited by lpskier
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Lpskier

• Baller

@SlalomSteven As a former hoosier now living in Florida, I know how frustrating the Indiana winters can be.  You could check out Swiss Ski School in Clermont.  They have a one room efficiency for rent steps from the starting dock.  As I live about 10 minutes from Swiss, if you come, I will give you a pull on my lake.

• Like 2