Technique problem getting good off-side angle to wake

swbca

• Baller_

I still have a life-time habit of increasing off-side angle to the wake by shifting weight to the back foot. That worked at 34mph, But now at 32mph, shifting back on the ski to get better off-side angle doesn't work..  It buries the narrower tail on modern skis and raises the tip of ski increasing drag.

I recently switched to a KD Titanium. With weight neutral it has the quickest off-side turns of any ski I have used in the last 3 years.  Get slightly forward and it snaps a 90 degree off-side turn.  And it works the same on both sides. 

That performance came with the KD after increasing DFT to the most forward position the ski would permit .894 instead of the factory .790.  That DFT also allowed me to get further forward between the turn and through the wake, but I still feel like the front of ski is going push away from me if I try to be aggressive and have a balanced position on the ski.  When I try to maintain a neutral stance out of turn to maintain angle, I sometimes end up letting go and spinning to a stop rather than crashing ribs first into wake.

I know the problem is me.   I recently read someone quoting Freddy Winter "point your knees where you want the ski go".   Maybe pushing my right knee to the left would help.  I would try it this morning if I wasn't forced to be somewhere else for a few days.

Anyone had this off-side angle problem and solved it ?

Edited by swbca

• Baller

The forward shift of the fin might be compounding  the problem as your describing. As the fin goes forward the tip is raised. The fin should be set up so that you don't have to move around on the ski too much. It's very difficult to get consistency when you have to make weight shifts to make things happen. 

• Thanks 1