Wiring heater blower to dash paddle switch (wire gauge?)

o2bnMaine

• Baller

I just put in the boat's 3rd 4-position blower switch. I wear them out from use. I want to wire the 4-position switch to a paddle switch to turn it on/off without changing the L/M/H setting. This should prolong the switch's life, I hope.

Does anybody know what gauge wire I should be using? I was looking at the stranded wire at the hardware store and didn't think it came with as much insulation as the wire that connects to the 4-position switch. This made me think I should ask some questions before modifying.

• Baller

Blower motor should have an amp draw listed somewhere. Lots of charts out there that give you gauge-for-amp sizes. Flyer guess would be stock wiring is probably not bigger than 12 gauge. Might be 14 gauge or 16 gauge. Agreed with LeonL. Same size as existing. You're adding near zero additional resistance to the circuit.

• Baller

Had 4 boats with original heatercraft 4 position (Off-L, M, H)  switches and only had one go bad?  I ran two thru an available ACC switch on dash because they were there and never had an issue,  it makes sense to reduce use of the HC switch. 

I have noticed that the new boats arent even offering 3 fan speeds  (SN is on-off and I think MC is just low high) 

Good Luck