Gas on a Ski - This Can’t be Good

BlueSki

• Baller

One of the kids on the college team at our lake had her ski out of it’s case to get ready for a set and someone moving gas spilled some and got it on her ski. I don’t know how, why the can wasn’t well sealed, or how long it was on the ski. She tried to clean it but the ski is stained.  I know gas is nasty stuff, but does anyone with more materials science knowledge know if she should expect problems to arise or a shortened life span of the ski? I’m mostly concerned with any weakening that could result in breakage and injury. 

IMG_1499.jpeg

IMG_1498.jpeg

Edited by BlueSki

• Baller

I'm a little surprised that it stained like that, and the fact that it did is a little conserning regarding the structure....

I spill gas on a lot of things, whether the cheaply painted plastic around the fill cap of a lawn mower or weed eater, or drip some down the side of the car or boat and never see it stain like that. I would even use gas as a cleaner for various stubborn substances that have stained various things with similar finish as a ski....

I know you say you don't know how long it was on the ski...assuming then that it wasn't noticed right away? Still, with as fast as it evaporates its a little surprising. 

I wonder if there was alread a crack of some sort that alowed it inside the ski? 

• Baller_

The finish on most modern skis is fairly soluble, so products as mild as Goo-Gone will soften and damage the finish.  The color of a ski will wipe right off on a rag with lacquer thinner.   In general the finish on skis is not resistant to solvents.  Unlike Gel Coat or most most industrial paints.

It may not look great but it won't affect the strength of the your ski.

I learned this from experience on D3, KD and other brands.   I bought a slightly used KD Titanium where the owners child put some dinosaur stickers on the ski.   I could not get the sticker adhesive off the ski without damaging the finish.

Edited by swbca
  • Thanks 1