How many productive sets can you take in a week?

Horton

How many productive sets can you take in a week? +/-  

82 members have voted

1. 1. How many productive sets can you take in a week? +/-

• 2 +/-
    • 4 +/-
    • 6 +/-
    • 8 +/-
    • 10 +/-
    • more than 10!

• Administrators

How many productive sets can you take in a week?

( @RazorRoss3 & @6balls are freaks and can each take 47 passes at 39 off. I am talking about human water skiers )  

• Like 1

• Administrators

I took 9 slalom rides and one trick set in the the last week. One my 9th set of the week, today, I was officially over the limit.  

• Baller

I start to ski crappy if I take more than 4 sets a week. I do 8 passes on a set if I'm in shape. If I do 6 passes, then sometimes I'll take a 2nd set of 4 passes. I'm shot the next day,  but I'm old, M7.

Edited by ETskier
Additional information.
  • Like 2

• Baller

I think there are a number of factors that come into play the most significant 1. Line lengths you practice at. 2. Age 3. Physical Condition. 4. Number of passes   For me at 69 years old, in what I consider good physical condition, I typically need a day of rest between skiing day, usually one sometimes two sets.  Shorter line pass take a greater toll, if I ran 28s and 32s, I could ski every day.  32, 35, 38, 39, 39, 39, 38  or 32, 35, 38, 38, 39, 39, 39, 38 are typical sets.  I am pretty much gassed when I am done, and more often than not do not run a 2nd set.

Edited by JackQ
  • Like 1

• Administrators

@JackQ this time of year what are the odds you would be productive skiing 28 & 32? My guess is rarely. I think most skiers spend a lot of their time at the hardest pass they can make or at the pass they miss a lot.  So yes there is a lot of options but I think most of us are on similar programs. 

Skiers at longer lines can likely ski more but at their hardest pass they are doing all they can so they are working.

Whatever this is not exactly a scientific conversation. 

• Baller

@Horton, I agree to a point.  When I was younger and my best pass that I could run was 35 and ran 22s, 28s and lots of 32, I would ski 10 sometimes 12 passes in a set. Maybe it was being 25 years younger, maybe easier passes or a bit of both.  Although you are giving it all when let say 32 is your best pass, it still does not have the load and more extremes that 38, 39 and beyond has.  

Edited by JackQ

• Baller_

On a related topic, one time a handful of years ago a women who was trying to qualify for Worlds representing Lebanon said she could take 20 passes. We called BS and pulled her. Not only did she take 24 passes, but on her 24th pass she finally ran a line length that she had struggled with all set. 

The moral of the story: Never underestimate a woman. 

• Like 1

Lpskier

• Baller

From my experience (back when i could ski 35) the line length was a significant factor in endurance.  That being said that is relative to one's max pass.  But I've seen skiers whose max was 15 off who could ski a bunch of passes every day, so I kinda think 35 and shorter may be where it begins to be a factor.

• Baller

I had a 14-set week late July that ended with my best pass of the year, but I was cooked and I knew it. I’ve done some 12-set, 3 day trips to Florida too.. dumb but fun. I’ve been averaging about 8/week this summer and while some are good, some are bad, I think it’s a decent number for me. I’m 33 and most my passes are -22/-28 @ 36.  

• Like 1

• Baller

I think 2 sets a day everyday is productive, I will push myself and sometimes  do 3-4 sets in day and have had to tell myself, it’s not productive, since , I only allow myself to do 2 sets. It also all depends on where you are skiing and how in shape you are, age etc. some people like myself could ski all day, lol and some (I won’t name;)) can only do 2 sets max. This is a wide open discussion, but I also like to do other things as well as skiing, so I try to ski in the morning and use the rest of the day for other fun adventures;)

• Baller_

If I ski one slalom set a day (6 to 8 passes), I can ski pretty much every day and be productive. If I ski two slalom sets a day for a couple days, I have to take days off to rest. I can slalom every day and take a trick set three days a week, or ride jumpers, but then I need a rest day. I also go to the gym and ride my bike several times a week. I am 67. 

I usually need a rest day following a tournament. 

In July through Nationals, I take a lot of rest days and that helps my scores peak. Otherwise I find skiing too fun not to ski. 

• Like 1

Lpskier

• Baller

define productive.  If trying to set a new PB every set it's going to be tough to do that every day. If you are working on technique, timing and rhythm at longer lines or maybe slower speeds you can ski a lot more.   Running passes that you run 99% of the time, always  in control, staying stacked, and not taking any slack hits, is still productive. 

• Thanks 1

• Baller

I got to ski twice a day for most of the summer. I feel very fortunate to live on a private lake with a course and more importantly, ski with a great group of friends who push each other. But there's Saturday morning's I'll take off when everyone else is skiing, to ride my motorcycle or escape into the woods with my dog. It gives me a physical rest and recharges the mental side.

• Like 1

• Baller_

When I was a kid going to McCormick’s Ski School in the spring and then working there for a summer, we skied six sets a day: two slalom, two jump and two trick. At that age, I don’t remember thinking it was too much. I just remember that my hands were usually shredded, at least in the spring. 

Lpskier