At 43 off, how could Nate get wide enouph to almost hit the jump ?

swbca

• Baller
28 minutes ago, VONMAN said:

Nate should have got a re-ride offered and if he turned it down so be it. 

How would it justify a re-ride? he got around ball 1, took too long to slow down and take the slack out and was so far down the lake he couldn't have got back to the centre in time.

Looking at the other video of the night slalom where he nearly hit it, he wasn't even "in play" he was waving to the crowd and not paying attention.

Simple solution to a jump within the slalom area, strap some tackle mats to the corner of the cow catcher and the blunt end of the ramp.

• Like 1
  • DIslike 1

• Baller_

In many sports there comes a time when the athlete, technical implement or combination requires the sport to adjust the venue (& rule book) to suit.  Safer barriers, paved runoff's & 'track limits' are a few motorsports examples.  Athletes tend to have the mindset 'it won't happen to me'.

• Like 3

• Baller

@Mateo_Vargas that was at Princes in in the UK, Pro Am event, he went over on his back, there were two photograhers on that jump how he didn't take them out I don't know.

Apart from logistics and the position of a Jump, I have to agree it should be in a safe location, but some lakes do not have the space, it is not a simple task of moving the Jump, because you have to move the Jump Course Bouys as well, the alternative is to move the Slalom Course, yet again a big task , for safety you could just put a inflatable wall around the jump, not ideal but better than nothing.

• Like 1

• Baller
13 hours ago, VONMAN said:

Well not to many skiers have had the opportunity to make a play at 43off so getting back to the buoy line is the rule to score 1 ball. We really didn't know a ski ramp would be in the way. Like its been said the course had been homologated. But how old is the standard. Was it standardized back in the 38, 39.5 or 41 era? So knowing what we know now, do we make a change or wait till someone gets hurt. I'm going take a guess that 70 to 80 percent of course skiers don't have a jump next to the slalom course when training. I mean no one else had any problems with the ramp being there. Not even Freddy, after he saw what happened to Nate. Nate should have got a re-ride offered and if he turned it down so be it. So what do we do in the future???.......It's OK, it's fine. I'm sure it will be fine.      Until the next time, stay tune.

Is 3 feet of rope the distinction?  Was Nate really going that much faster than Andy 20 years ago?  Point being, is there really a difference turning 1 ball at 43 than 41, from a jump location perspective at a hypothetical (right sided) #2?  Until we use a radar gun from shore, I really can't see it being that big of a delta.

I kind of have to disagree as to the latter highlighted sentence.  When you think about where everybody skis, there's a lot of jumps around...even on Nate's lake.  A plurality of the finalists train or have trained significantly at Travers.  This setup was not an anomaly, nor something they weren't used to seeing even for those who don't ski at Travers regularly, particularly after Mastercraft at Fluid, and Malibu at Lymanland.  

• Baller

Round #2 Nate ran 41 and decided not to run 43, probably because he had a wipe out at the Mastercraft Pro, had he tried 43 in round 2 he would have had a better idea of where the jump was (and always has been might I add).

Freddie ran his 43 pass in round 2 and was able to S turn ball 1 in the final without the jump being an issue! This should be a non topic, the jump didn't get relocated for Freddie, and maybe Freddie learned something from watching Nates run, but that's the earned benefit of going last off the dock.  Keep in mind Freddie has also had some wipeouts in his career and still goes hard every set!

• Like 2
  • DIslike 5
  • Haha 2

• Baller

@The_MS oh rich.  What of the "why would anyone think an open bow ski boat is a fully safe open bow boat and people should know better and take personal reasonability to not operate the boat incorrectly"

Here's the thing no one is selling jump ramps to the general public and installing them on public lakes between 1 and 3 ball.  Its a controlled environment it is precisely the type of controlled environment in which things that are relatively not safe are permissible because of the controlled environment. 

But you better 100% believe that Malibu's lawsuit was appropriate based on that comment because we're talking about the same guy.

• Heterodox 1

• Baller_
2 hours ago, The_MS said:

Where are all the “If it saves just one” people? What if the result had been injury or worse? 🤠

@The_MS could have a point.  Maybe we should all have to take a SafeRamp course that advises us on the dangers of doing an S turn when a ramp is present.  It absolutely could save just one.  Gotta admit though, I'm surprised by that sudden reversal on mandated training.

• Heterodox 1
  • Thanks 1

The worst slalom equipment I own is between my ears.

• Baller

@lpskier You are right, there is no rule that would give Nate a re-ride. Only common sense could come into play for safety sake. The raw edge of the ramp could have been life threatening to any skier. I've been to tournaments at narrow ski lakes where air crash bags are strategically placed for both skiing and jumping well outside the buoy line. What if the roles were reversed (I know, I know they weren't), but what if Freddie went out before Nate with one of his go for broke crashes? And you know, the out cry after the crash. (it didn't happen, but now we know it could)

So back to common sense. if the first skier avoids injury and the second one learns to not make the same mistake and be safe that's all part of skiing at the top level. It's OK no one has ever hit the back of a jump yet. Thank you Safe Sport.

A Good One Ball Gives You Six

• DIslike 1

Ernie Schlager