Favorite Spring Suit?

skibrain

• Baller

What is anyone’s favorite spring suit?

Stokes Superflex? O’neil Hyperfreak 2mm?  Camaro Blacktec? Others?

I’ve been using a Stokes spring suit the past 4-5 years. Honestly has been great. The long sleeve short leg solution works well for me in MN mid-temps when I’m not in a dry suit.  I really like the smooth skin for less evaporative chill.

I try to be really careful when putting on, It is just a little fragile, and has either abrasion from vest or tiny splits in stretch areas. (Yes I’ve talked to Stokes for recommendation, and have done weekly Aquaseal repair for the past couple seasons).  But it’s about time to replace. And I may jus get Stokes again but wanted to ask.  Thx

• Baller

I use a Camero Blacktech top that is absolutely incredible. I still don't understand how something so thin a flexible can keep me so warm. Only downside is it's pretty fragile. Just need to be super careful with it.

• Like 1

• Baller

O’Neil Epic LS Shorty. They seem to have been discontinued but mine is still in good shape after 6 seasons. Heck I still have the O’Neill BLP 3/4 shorty from 1994 and a Fluid Dry from 96 and both are in excellent condition. I sent both to O’Neill for some retaping, a couple seals, panels and a new dry zipper back in 2018. 

• Like 1

• Baller

The O'Neil Hyperfreak has been one of my favorites.  Love the ease of getting in and out, front zip, mobility for skiing, and the feel of that new neoprene is really nice.  Durability has been good and in my experience they will repair their suits if you have issues.

• Baller

The 1.5mm Camaro Blacktec is still hard to beat and now they offer one with a dry zipper, no more cold water leaking through the zipper. I do love the 3/4 leg length offered by Stokes but at 1mm they are not as warm as the 1.5mm Camaro. I find the 3/4 length leg (just below the knee) of the Stokes easier to get on and off, has no material to get in the way of your boots compared to full length suit, and you never get water up the legs during starts like you can with the mid thigh length suit. For me the ultimate suit would be 1.5mm smooth skin 3/4 length with a dry zipper.

O'Neill makes good stuff but they don't offer a full smooth skin neoprene suit which is a must, without it you get evaporative cooling making the suit noticeably colder compared to one of the same thickness with smooth skin.

• Like 1

• Baller

I’m a big fan of Blacktec but just got a killer deal on the Syndicate DryFlex through Moosejaw- top and spring suit for $230…  I’ve only tried it on at home so far but the construction seems a bit more beefy than the Camaro - hoping it is a little less fragile.  My blacktec that is blue inside is falling apart fast.  The one that is black inside seems to be doing much better.  

• Baller_

+1 on the HO DryFlex.  My ski partner and I both scooped them up at a very friendly price and are very happy with them.   Super value compared to more pricey versions.  As everybody comments, you do need to be careful and not dig fingernails in them.  These style suits (categorizing the HO/Stokes/Camaro together) are much warmer than the traditional neporene suits.  Another advantage, they don't have to shed gallons of water on getup's, are very flexible, thin and as noted warm.  The long arm / short leg option is great.

• Baller

I had high hopes for the 1.5mm HO Syndicate Dry-Flex suits when they first came out, one more smooth skin suit to compete with Camaro and Stokes. What I have found from owning a HO Syndicate Dry-Flex is it lets more water through the zipper than Camaro and uses just a little stiffer 1.5mm material that does not flex as much as Camaro. All three of these brands (Camaro, Stokes, HO) that offer smooth skin are the best option for us water skiers since they eliminate evaporate cooling which is why they are so warm while being so thin/lightweight and flexible. I personally would love to see Stokes and HO offer a dry zipper which makes a huge difference by turning these wet suits into almost dry suits since the zipper is the main way water gets in.  The other option I would love Camaro and HO to offer is the 3/4 length leg that goes just below the knee which is what Stokes has going for it.

• Thanks 1

• Baller
5 hours ago, Bdecker said:

I’m a big fan of Blacktec but just got a killer deal on the Syndicate DryFlex through Moosejaw- top and spring suit for $230…  I’ve only tried it on at home so far but the construction seems a bit more beefy than the Camaro - hoping it is a little less fragile.  My blacktec that is blue inside is falling apart fast.  The one that is black inside seems to be doing much better.  

What size suit and what size are you?   Tia

• Baller_

@BGrow76 - interesting feedback, my thought was the water getting in thru the neck as that part does not seal tight for me.  I will have to pay more attention next time to compare notes.  Wearing it today was a mistake, more like I was in a broiler even at 64 degree water!  Amazing how warm these things are.

• Baller

On the issue of Camaro durability, I ski year round here in Arizona and am on year 8 with my Camaro.  It has nicks, and the original rubberized coating is GONE from the right armpit where my bicep rubs on my ski vest, but I've been spraying those spots with copious amounts of FlexSeal Spray and that seals them right up, including the 2" by 2" rubbed spot on the right armpit.

I expected to need a new suit 3 years ago, but the flexseal has let me get a few more years out of my beloved Camaro.  Now the only issue with it is the wrists and ankles just don't seal like they used to.

• Like 1

• Baller
On 9/30/2023 at 1:04 PM, Killer said:

What size suit and what size are you?   Tia

Size Large, unfortunately they only had 1 of each in stock.  Used the top today, warmer than my Camaro!   Great early/ late season top, probably too much for a cool august morning 

• Baller_
On 9/30/2023 at 12:57 PM, BGrow76 said:

I had high hopes for the 1.5mm HO Syndicate Dry-Flex suits when they first came out, one more smooth skin suit to compete with Camaro and Stokes. What I have found from owning a HO Syndicate Dry-Flex is it lets more water through the zipper than Camaro and uses just a little stiffer 1.5mm material that does not flex as much as Camaro. All three of these brands (Camaro, Stokes, HO) that offer smooth skin are the best option for us water skiers since they eliminate evaporate cooling which is why they are so warm while being so thin/lightweight and flexible. I personally would love to see Stokes and HO offer a dry zipper which makes a huge difference by turning these wet suits into almost dry suits since the zipper is the main way water gets in.  The other option I would love Camaro and HO to offer is the 3/4 length leg that goes just below the knee which is what Stokes has going for it.

Buy a full suit and cut it. Ive got a few guys that buy them from me and do that.

• Like 1

Performance Ski and Surf 

Mike@perfski.com

👾

• Baller

@mike_mapple That is/was the plan with my current Camaro Blacktec Zero but I'm getting cold feet worried that if I cut it just below the knee it will make the seams weak and they will start to split. From the factory Camaro uses a little patch of material at the bottom of the seam that is glued on the inside to strengthen the seam and prevent it from splitting.

• Baller_
On 10/2/2023 at 4:24 PM, BGrow76 said:

@mike_mapple That is/was the plan with my current Camaro Blacktec Zero but I'm getting cold feet worried that if I cut it just below the knee it will make the seams weak and they will start to split. From the factory Camaro uses a little patch of material at the bottom of the seam that is glued on the inside to strengthen the seam and prevent it from splitting.

anything you cut will fray some, I used to have a black tech full that I cut the arms off to make it a short sleeve, just wish I could still fit into it! lol

Performance Ski and Surf 

Mike@perfski.com

👾