Trailer damage

blagrata

• Baller

Had an unfortunate incident of a tree falling on my trailer this past weekend.  Picture attached.  The bunk boards are fine.  The jack was smashed.  The port side of the frame is visibly bent a bit where the tree was.   The other side isn't visibly bent... but I think the whole trailer from around the wheels to the front coupler has a little bow in it.   Has anyone had experience with fixing trailers?  I'm going to make several calls tomorrow (including insurance)... but just kind of want to know what to expect?  Can they be straightened?   Would the trailer be safe to take the boat a little ways?   I am in Ohio... so unfortunately the specter of winterization looms soon.  Any advice would be appreciated.  Thanks.  

38742 (1).jpeg

38743 (1).jpeg

IMG_20231002_180940856.jpg

IMG_20231002_182053510.jpg

• Baller

Hopefully insurance covers it.  It’s probably fixable by any autobody shop that has a frame machine.  That will get the frame rails straight again.  Then just make sure that messing with the frame hasn’t changed your axle alignment and it should be good to go. 

• Like 1

• Baller

TAKE THIS WITH A GRAIN OF SALT (as all we're looking at is pics and reading your description)... but the frame rails are a rectangular box... yes, they are bent, but the strength is still pretty good. Weight load up there is tiny. 

"Would the trailer be safe to take the boat a little ways?"    How far is a little ways? What's your appetite for risk? If it was me based on your description and the pictures, I would probably give it a go. (insert all legal liability text here blah blah, drive easy, stop often to visual verify all is good, etc etc)

If there is someone with trailer knowledge that is close by that can give it a quick look to verify integrity visually, might be worth it to have a second set of eyes on it.