What's the difference between high price and low price slalom ropes

swbca

• Baller_

One of the top three pro-tour ski manufacturers sells 10 segment slalom ropes under their own label for $60.00.   If they expect buyers to use the 43 off loop what kind of skier to the expect to be their customer ?   I weigh 165 pounds and have PP Stargazer boat and I don't go to tournaments any more.  Do I need a higher end rope ?   I do use all the short rope loops because very short rope geometry is fun - trying to ski wide and at a quick pace without slack.    

• Baller_

Not worried about the wasps, I was thinking more about life span difference making a better rope worth the addition price.  Maybe good for an additional season of skiing.  My current 2 year old rope is wearing were the loops are in contact with the pylon, even though there is a plastic sleeve on the MasterCraft 196 pylon that rotates with the rope. 

• Baller

I'm also wondering about what rope and handle to buy for visitors who are novice skiers who might also like to wakeboard.  Should I just let them use my expensive rope and custom handle?  Part of me wants to just buy an inexpensive Radar rope and handle set for guests for $70.

https://waterskis.com/radar-control-13in-elliptical-water-ski-handle-package/

• Baller_

For free skiing I’d go with a medium or more stretch. Much easier on the body.  S-Lines has a great medium stretch and one with more stretch. And $70 is by no means expensive for that kind of high end rope. Been using a medium stretch for over a year. Just ordered my second from them in the last couple weeks. 

• Like 2

• Baller
6 hours ago, MitchellM said:

I'm also wondering about what rope and handle to buy for visitors who are novice skiers who might also like to wakeboard.  Should I just let them use my expensive rope and custom handle?  Part of me wants to just buy an inexpensive Radar rope and handle set for guests for $70.

https://waterskis.com/radar-control-13in-elliptical-water-ski-handle-package/

@MitchellM you should probably pick up an inexpensive rope with a floaty handle. I use -28 for learners, and wake boarders might want somewhere around 32 off. I suggest not lending your nice handle to gloveless waterproof-sunscreen-transmitters.

• Like 3

• Baller_
13 hours ago, thager said:

From the prices I see quoted above the difference is $10. ($70 - $60 = $10)

Both of those prices were for Radar,  the low priced ropes.   When guys I ski with bring their $180 ropes apparently most of the cost was in their handle.   I just found the S-Line rope I should get without handle for $70. 

https://slinesusa.com/products/competition-series-slalom-line?variant=42469961367800

Edited by swbca
  • Haha 1