What rear boot/binding is this?

herseyj

• Administrators

@herseyj

that is absolutely not what Joel is running.

it does look to be a Wiley back binding with odd overlays. it does sort of look like a 1970s or 1980s Kidder or EP binding, but I'm pretty sure that's just some odd parts on Wiley. I would be 0% surprised to see that on Cole's ski.

Goode HO Syndicate   KD Skis ★ MasterCraft ★ PerfSki  

Radar ★ Reflex ★ S Lines ★ Stokes

Drop a dime in the can

• Baller

Hmmm well boy it sure looks like it on both their skis.  Tomorrow I’ll try to get some shots from there sets and zoom in on the boot.  Looks pretty darn close.  Old doesn’t mean bad. Looks pretty darn functional to me.

• Baller

If it has ANYTHING to do with Kris Lapoint, you never know what will be on the ski, or part of the ski. My lakeowner and Kris go back to the 70’s. You should see the crazy stuff leaning against his ski shed. 2 different skis cut down the middle and glassed together really crazy progressive asymmetrical tunnels. 

Honestly, I love half rear boots, so a toe with a heel cup and a flimsy overlay is right in my wheelhouse

• Baller

Its just whatever Cole is using as a rear binding overlay, his just looks like some EVA or rubber sheet punched out.  Note the torn out eyelets that has all the hallmarks of cobble it together with what you have when you have it.  Howleys is more what can I assemble with a cordless drill angle iron and stuff I buy from the hardware store wherever I happen to be today.  Note all of this boot mounting plates are just hacksawed off aluminum L bolted through with nuts on the outside.  

https://www.instagram.com/p/Ci7kPHrODFv/?utm_source=ig_web_copy_link&igshid=MzRlODBiNWFlZA==

• Baller

Best pic I could get of Coles'.  Thanks, everyone.  Looks like Joel called on the cycling shoemakers to mold a carbon sole to his foot and build an upper.  Love the creativity and concepts.  I like the idea of a rubber rear like shown in the original post.  The Radar Vector Hybrid RTP Binding is the closest thing I can find.  I will stick with my rear D3 T-factor for now.  I just leave it completely loose.  I did have to modify the front T-Factor boot a bit and remove the rear plastic plate.  I wanted my feet closer together and back of the front boot sticks backwards a bit to much.  They are built for tall guys and not short guys with big feet.

cole 3.PNG

• Like 1

• Baller

@Cooleo15thank you for the info. I remember a video of Andy showing his heel didn't really move much in his RTP. I'm no AM! My heel is all over the ski in an RTP but I've always felt that it is probably the best due to the ability to move forward on the ski. Your boot and the one that @Deanoski has made look perfect. Looks like i need to go on a thrift store search for old skis to cannibalize!  

• Elite Skier

@aupatking I definitely would recommend an overlay on your binding though. Whether you go with something similar to mine or a rear kicker. It helps stabilize and reduces the rolling of your foot in the back boot. There's a fine line between being able to move onto the front of the ski and your foot moving around too much, making it difficult to be balanced and consistent with your moves. Heel lift is good but foot roll within the back boot is not from my experience. I think the big key is to have a boot with no wraps that go above the ankle bone. Having control above the ankle promotes heavy turns, which is not a good trait with Zero Off. You want all the heavy load to be behind the boat not at the bouy.

• Like 2