Vinyl pinking

MitchellM

• Baller

Anyone have any experience with pink staining on their boat vinyl?

I stored my new to me 2005 Malibu LXi outdoors with the black cover on for the past 6 weeks.  When I removed the cover to finally ski, there was pink staining of the vinyl on areas where to cover came into contact with the vinyl.  This does not scrub off.  My understanding is that this pink stain comes from a bacterium in the foam padding which secretes the pink stain when there is excessive heat and moisture.  Seems like it's always excessivly hot and moist here in Florida!

Any suggestions would be appreciated.  Depressing to see my new boat with this problem my first day skiing this weekend.

IMG_8567.jpgIMG_8568.jpg

• Baller
2 hours ago, buechsr said:

Don't fret, it'll be gone in an hour or 2 of direct sunlight.  Some have suggested replacing black cover with a lighter, less heat generating color, and letting interior dry as much is reasonably possible before covering.  

I hope you're right.  Some folks report having success with 10% benzoyl peroxide.

• Baller

Artical on pinking and a treatment test Boatingmag on pinking 

Seems there is the bacterial, but also a chemical. 

"Chemical pinking arises from a byproduct of certain glues in marine cushions, which change to a pink or red color and then wick to the surface of the material.

It is triggered when another material such as a boat cover is left in contact with the upholstery. The vinyl is then subjected to excessive heat, and the result is chemical pinking, which appears in more geometric patterns than the blotchy nature of bacterial pinking.

To help prevent chemical pinking, don’t let a boat cover rest on the upholstery while the boat is stored. If you cannot avoid this, put a towel between the vinyl and the cover material."

• Baller
42 minutes ago, ScottScott said:

Artical on pinking and a treatment test Boatingmag on pinking 

Seems there is the bacterial, but also a chemical. 

"Chemical pinking arises from a byproduct of certain glues in marine cushions, which change to a pink or red color and then wick to the surface of the material.

It is triggered when another material such as a boat cover is left in contact with the upholstery. The vinyl is then subjected to excessive heat, and the result is chemical pinking, which appears in more geometric patterns than the blotchy nature of bacterial pinking.

To help prevent chemical pinking, don’t let a boat cover rest on the upholstery while the boat is stored. If you cannot avoid this, put a towel between the vinyl and the cover material."

Yes, I read that article and others.  I suspect I have bacterial pinking.  The boat was left in a storage yard while I closed on my lake house 6 weeks later.  The boat had the black full cover on securely, but it was in full sun and likely got very hot.  Also, there was some rainwater intrusion which led to some moisture under the cover.  The intense heat from the dark cover in contact with vinyl in some regions caused this.  I hope it's not permanent, but it may be.  Very unsightly.

• Baller
4 hours ago, jhughes said:

Side note- crazy to see the full length rear locker! That was such a trend for so long but you never see it anymore.

We love our rear locker. No skis in the boat (or we place them in our tower rack) and the shower is in there. Has mesh pocket under it's lid for gloves, etc. The split lid is a good feature too as can access from boat or platform. The earlier Response lockers were single piece front hinged so good from platform and PITA from boat.   

@MitchellM looks like pinking. It's disappear quite quickly in full sun. We get it a bit with our black cover. Doesn't bother me now as I know it'll disappear. Towels or pool noodle between boat and cover works but be careful they don't bled colour into the vinyl or cause indentations if in seat foam if cover is heavy or tight  

• Like 1

• Baller
2 hours ago, MitchellM said:

Yes, I read that article and others.  I suspect I have bacterial pinking.  The boat was left in a storage yard while I closed on my lake house 6 weeks later.  The boat had the black full cover on securely, but it was in full sun and likely got very hot.  Also, there was some rainwater intrusion which led to some moisture under the cover.  The intense heat from the dark cover in contact with vinyl in some regions caused this.  I hope it's not permanent, but it may be.  Very unsightly.

It's not.  Its chemical.  It's not permanent.  I've had it on multiple Malibus in the 04-07 era.  Put it in the sun and thats it.  Not "outside" in a boat house (though that will help), in direct sunlight.

• Baller

Nasty stuff, and unfortunately, as far as I know, there is no getting rid of it.  As others said a few hours (or more like a day or so) in the sun, it disappears.  But its not gone.  Its still there. Cover your boat again and it returns.  Dont try to scrub it away.  This comes up on various FB pages periodically and all the unknowledgeables say its just mold/mildew and offer their favorite mold witch's brew and scrubbing ( the deadly magic eraser is often suggested)  Attempting to scrub it away, repeatedly will destroy the vinyl.  (Dont ask me how I know)  I'd feel bad, but the vinyl was already ruined by the pinking anyway, so no great loss.  I had it throughout my boat and have been replacing a few pieces a season due to  cost.  I will wrap it up with the last 3 small pieces this winter.  There is a company "Gestalt" that claims to have a fix, you can google them (along with vinyl pinking).  Problem is (1) does it really work and (2) it is crazy expensive.  They sell little vials of stuff (I think it may also entail UV light but not sure) for about $30 but a vial is good for about 6 square inches.  You add it up and new vinyl isnt that much more.

People offer causes. Like black covers in contact.  Maybe, maybe not.  Mine, indeed, did show up with a new black cover, but also in places where cover doesnt contact.  Plus, I've had some of my new pieces 2 seasons with no signs of pinking.  (thank goodness)  I have heard, dont know if its true or not, could be the nature of the vinyl.  Apparently vinyl used to be made with some arsenic to ward off such things.  That became banned and when it did, pinking became a thing.  Since my new vinyl has been fine, (I feared it might spread from the old, but it didnt) perhaps vinyl formulation has improved to help prevent it.  Your 2005 is fairly new, so not sure.  I know it seems to show up in 90s boats (like mine)  Sorry you've got it.  Good luck with it.

• Baller
9 minutes ago, MitchellM said:

The pinking has faded significantly with a combination of sun exposure and applications of 10% benzoyl peroxide.  I've also kept the cover off the boat for the time being on my covered lift.

Are you actually leaving it in the sun or just uncovered in boathouse?

• Baller
4 minutes ago, buechsr said:

Are you actually leaving it in the sun or just uncovered in boathouse?

I had the boat out in direct sunlight most of this weekend.  The week days it's been inside a covered lift.  Not much direct  sun in there.

• Baller
Just now, MitchellM said:

I had the boat out in direct sunlight most of this weekend.  The week days it's been inside a covered lift.  Not much direct  sun in there.

if possible, leave it direct sunlight.  Its the UV that makes it go away not just "airing" it out.  

• Like 1

• Baller
On 10/17/2023 at 10:46 PM, jhughes said:

Side note- crazy to see the full length rear locker! That was such a trend for so long but you never see it anymore.

I know in much of the country they get moldy and stinky if you use them for ski gear, but not in AZ!  I'd miss my locker dearly if I got a newer boat.