Syndicate Waterskis 2023 Collegiate Nationals October 26-28, 2023

ROBOT

• Administrators

so I just got an update from Nationals. it looks like tomorrow morning's men's slalom could be massive. The current record is 3 and 1/2 at 41. there's at least three guys that could challenge that. and then on Saturday morning men's jump is just going to be bonkers. there's a possibility of the first ever collegiate 200-ft jump.

• Baller

@Horton you know jumping at Bennett's will be off the hook!  I'm looking at Will Roberts to put one wayyyy out there but honestly,  there could be 10 guys at 170+.  I think 195' is going to happen.  200' would be awesome!  Zack Worden went like 195' at Bennett's about 10 or 15 yrs ago for the then collegiate record.  His cut was so late it looked suicidal.

• Baller

@Horton That men's slalom record has stood for 20 years! Would love to see it go down tomorrow.

Men's Jump will be pulled by MasterCraft ProStars (6.0L with 3 blade OJ props) and with guys like Chris Wharton, Chris Eller, and Trent Finlayson behind the wheel at the site where 4 of the last 5 Collegiate Jump Records have gone done we should be in for a treat...

• Baller

Congratulations to Aaron Davies for taking the D1 Men's Slalom victory with an impressive 1 @ 41 off.  I've had the chance to meet him at Bennett's.  He's a hard worker and a nice guy...a deserving champion.  The webcast is pretty cool to watch while it alternates the action between the jump lake and slalom lake too.  ULL looks to be unbeatable to me at this point.

• Baller

Today’s webcast now shows as blocked due to SME (Sony music entertainment) copyright.  Probably some algorithm that scans videos and picked up background music. Does anyone know if that happens and ultimately gets overridden on a regular basis?

• Baller
2 hours ago, BlueSki said:

Today’s webcast now shows as blocked due to SME (Sony music entertainment) copyright.

I was going to mention that to Kelvin, but he looked pretty tired after 2 days of camera switching.   I know he has dealt with it in the past.  I think he just mutes the offending audio and re-uploads the video.   It might not happen for a day or two.

He has to collaborate with other vendors (DJ for audio) on this webcast and they don't always ensure the site's music is excluded from the audio feed sent for the webcast.  

• Like 1

• Administrators

I hate to see my warhawks get so beat up but that Florian kid from ULL is next level. The way he rides his skis from the second wake to the ramp is the best thing I've seen so far today

• Like 1

• Baller

I just got home and got the broadcast going.  I see there's already 5 jumpers over 170 and a few in the 180s, fantastic!

@Horton your Warhawks really aren't that far off of the pace...several slalom scores at 38 off, early rotation jumps at 160, etc   It looks like Zane Nicholson has them moving in the right direction again.  It's great for college skiing when ULM is skiing strong.

Anyways, I'm ready to see some big jumps!

• Like 1

• Baller

As an Alabama fan, (my son’s alma mater), and a Midwesterner. I want to point out that the four Alabama jumpers who finished in the top eight, are all members of the “Midwest Air Force”, and are out of Illinois. They’re following in the footsteps of another jumper who cut his skiing teeth, in Illinois, at the P.I.T.S. Ski Club in Decatur. Some guy known as Freddy “The Nightmare” Krueger. 

• Like 2

• Baller

I think ULL has won the last 4 Nationals.  

Annmarie W. has quietly won Nationals, Worlds, and now National Collegiate womens slalom titles this year.  

She got an unlucky draw at Pan Am games skiing in moring sun.  She said she couldn't even see the pre gates.  Not a good call making slalom skiers go out in known sun glare..  Wouldn't have won, but could have made final round, and then maybe podium if she skied up to her potential.

• Like 1

• Baller

What a fun tournament to be at! Day 3 had a live guitar spangle banner being played in the fog. You had to look hard to see it was live. 

@Kelvinfor  Thank you very much for the webcast and also being nice enough to email me my daughter's trick run. It has been a rough year for her tricking. Every tournament she started with a fall early on. 

The weather was outstanding and the talent was great to see. Not everyone gets to see Neily Ross and then hang out with her on the shore.