Swiss Pro Slalom - Sunday, May 5th, 2024

Click Here for the webcast

Dry suit seal replacement

ztm5510

Does anyone know where or who replaces cuff seals on nylon dry suits?  I have an American dry suit I have not used for several years and a couple of the seals are torn and I would like to get new seals and not sure I want to do it my self.   Thanks for your help. 

• Baller

Wiley's (now Seattle Water Sports) is still doing seal replacement. Several years ago, OS would not do suits that they didn't make. I don't know if that's changed. USIA, who used to make suits for Wileys, quit the business, and as I understand it, Brandy Shult (who I believe used to work there) has taken up the business as "Oak Street Design" (go search for on facebook). I can't confirm all of that, just what I heard... Might want to check them out and see if they do seal replacement.

@BobF I have done it, too, but I sucked at it!  🙂 

• Haha 1
  • Thanks 1

• Baller_

Just checked out the Oak street gear page. Their dry suit, called the Sea Star, looks just like the one I got from Wileys in the 90's and still use today. I called and the gal I talked with says they did make Wileys suits, and cost of the Sea Star is $360.  They are in Oegon.  I also suggested she check out BOS and consider advertising as I see alot of questions about dry suits this time of year. That's a fair price for a nylon baggy and if it's the same quality of my current one, it a good value.

• Like 1

• Baller_

@Gale K my Wiley's has a date in the neck 9/94!! I have changed several ankle & wrist seals (easy peasy); need to do it's 3rd neck this week (this one I hate doing). Fabric is finally starting to weep so I wear my stokes shorty as 1st layer - gives me the illusion of dryness. Think I will spring for the Sea Star for Xms as I have been a pretty good boy this year!

• Like 1

• Baller

@Rednucleus yep, time to start over! Mine's an '08 (you win!!!), and it's had a couple of sets of seals so far. The rubber coating on the zipper has worn off in a couple of spots letting water through. Darren whipped some auqaseal on those areas and fixed it back up. I think the Oak Street is in my near future as well.

@ALPJr My first two drysuits were Skiwarm neoprene. SUPER comfy. On both of them, the seams would start to leak, I would send it back, they would reseal... It would be good for a couple of years, then start to leak again. I kind of fell into the nylon shell suits, and I haven't looked back.

• Baller

With no real prior experience or knowledge, I've done all five of mine, myself.  Not that hard.  A million youtube videos to guide you.  I was fortunate in the seals for my suit (BARE) were available on amazon or ebay, dont remember which, so that made it easier.  Dont know how easy to get seals for other suits or how universal they are.  Once you get over that hurdle, its not hard.

• Like 1

• Baller

Called O’Neill for repairs on a Fluid dry suit, confirming wski1831 comment that they will only do warranty repairs up to 12 months.  Will not accept repairs for fee.

Bought new one for $374 at Bart’s. I thought Bart’s was out of business.

• Baller

For anyone over this side of the pond, in the Uk I have had really good service from Hammond dry suits, they do a range of off the shelf and custom fit. I sent mine back last month for a repair to the neoprene leg which I cut on the boat trailer cost 9.00 pounds which is about 11.5 of your dollars. The postage was more. I have always repaired my own and consider myself pretty competent but at that price for some one using fresh bond and a guy doing it all day everyday so he knows his craft...........also I think if we don't support these businesses they won't be there when we need them, and that is a very competitive price and the quality of the repair and turn around were all that I wanted.

Their purpose custom fit slalom ski suit is really good, like many things in this game should have bought one years ago, different world to the old dry suit bag for all water sports which I used to buy off the shelf. Neoprene base and nylon top.

• Like 1