Install of Binding Screw Inserts

georgert

• Baller

In removing a binding I had a couple of tight screws. After applying more torque the screws came loose but I discovered they brought the inserts with them. I had to use a dremel tool to separate the screws from the inserts so they’re done. Before running to Home Depot to purchase some helicoil or zerks inserts I thought I’d check if anyone here had any handy tips on reinstalling inserts. The holes are clean, but I am considering tapping the holes before epoxying the inserts. YT has some videos of helicoil installs but they are all metal machine tool work, so that’s a little overkill, but I want to ensure the inserts are secure. Thanks in advance.

IMG_3749.jpeg

• Baller

I had this happen on a ski 10-15 yrs ago. 
The screw wasn’t impossibly seized in the insert. I held the insert with a pliers to  back mounting screw out.  

My original inserts had a slotted head, so I applied a little bit of clear epoxy and turned them back in. Careful not to overdo it on epoxy amount so I didn’t fill inside of insert.  

Lasted me for the years I kept using the ski. 

• Baller

It happens and it’s not a big deal. Especially if you won’t destroy the removed inserts. For next time… put the plate with the insert on a Vice (as is in your picture). Tighten the Vice as much as needed for the insert not to turn while unscrewing it. Chances are that it unscrews without destroying it. Run a 8/32 tap through it and put it back in the ski. If the ski brand is what I’m assuming it is, most of the times you can put it back without using any adhesive (better use some).

also Helicoil is a thread repair insert, not an insert by itself. Unless they now sell inserts too.

I would write to the ski company to sell me some inserts so my ski would look as it was before.

if your insert pocket is not widened. Use the same inserts. Your ski brand, usually does not need oversized ones. 
D3 sell inserts but they will not look the same as yours. They also sell oversized ones. 
if you need to buy from a local hardware store, look for 8/32” brass wood inserts. 
No special tools needed to reinstall, just a screw and a nut. Just be careful with any excess adhesive that can go in the threads and dries there. If you use any adhesive, mask everything around the insert hole with masking tape, if you want your ski to still look good.

ps. If you have an older model of the same brand you can use it as a donor. Until you receive some from the ski company. You can remove one with the screw and the nut in it. Same way as installing one.

good luck

Alex

• Thanks 1

• Baller

One tip I can offer when you are concerned about epoxy sticking where you don’t want (like threads) is the coat the area with Vaseline. This will prevent and glue from sticking and you just clean up the area with alcohol once the epoxy has hardened. 

• Like 1

Get high, Get fast, and do some good work.

• Baller

I am pretty sure the pictures are gone thanks to the site upgrade, but there was a prior thread with great pictures of several methods.   Here's mine:  I will try to describe it without pictures...

I use a very long bolt that is thread matched to the insert.  I also use 2 nuts that fit on that bolt.   I thread both nuts onto the long bolt higher up it than the insert depth.   I then put a very small amount of Vaseline on the lower threads of the bolt as a release agent.  Next, I thread the insert on to the bolt until the bolt end is flush with the bottom of the insert.  Now, I take the closest nut and run it down until it makes contact with the top of the insert.  Next, I run the 2nd nut down until it makes contact with the first nut.   Using two wrenches or small plyers, I tighten the 2nd nut against the first.  This locks the depth of the bolt.   

I prepare the ski hole with a light coat of epoxy.  I prepare the end of the bolt with a touch of Vaseline as a release agent.  Now, I can use the long bolt to screw the insert into the ski hole until it is flush with the top of the ski.  I leave the whole assembly in tact while the epoxy cures fully. 

Once cured, I release the 2nd (top) nut using plyers and back the long bolt out of the insert.   It has always worked for me.   

• Like 1