Swiss Pro Slalom - Sunday, May 5th, 2024

Click Here for the webcast

Any skis are the same?

FunoRyota

• Baller

Fin setting and Boots placement is so critical.
it makes ski's behavior almost completely different ski like from difficult to run the course to deep into your hardest pass. 

I just thought that even though skis shape are different, any skis(all different brands ) can be the same with fin  and Boots placement eventually (almost)? *if its same ski size. 

I came up with thought when I tried a new ski and was asked " What do you think this ski compare to~~~~"

Hmmmm,...

• Baller_

There may be many skis of different brands that a skier could setup to achieve their personal best with binding and fin settings, but no 2 skis will be the same.  Each ski will require a different response from the skier to achieve their best performance.   Even if a skier has setup 2 skis to achieve equal performance under specific site and wind conditions, with different conditions the skier is likely going to do better on one ski over the other.

• Baller
55 minutes ago, swbca said:

There may be many skis of different brands that a skier could setup to achieve their personal best with binding and fin settings, but no 2 skis will be the same.  Each ski will require a different response from the skier to achieve their best performance.   Even if a skier has setup 2 skis to achieve equal performance under specific site and wind conditions, with different conditions the skier is likely going to do better on one ski over the other.

Where does that difference come from you think? 
materials?flex?etc? 

• Administrators

@FunoRyota

I think I understand your question.

No, you're never going to make a Goode XTR Team feel like a Radar Vapor. For that matter, you're never going to make a Vapor feel like a Senate.

Dimensional shape, flex &  materials make the skis form differently.

• Like 1

Goode HO Syndicate   KD Skis ★ MasterCraft ★ PerfSki  

Radar ★ Reflex ★ S Lines ★ Stokes

Drop a dime in the can

• Baller
9 minutes ago, Horton said:

@FunoRyota

I think I understand your question.

No, you're never going to make a Goode XTR Team feel like a Radar Vapor. For that matter, you're never going to make a Vapor feel like a Senate.

Dimensional shape, flex &  materials make the skis form differently.

I see. Thats the answer I was looking for i guess🙏

this could be out of topic but can you describe each major brand characteristic ? 
I always tell japanese skiers that "get your ski that you think cool or you like". 

If you could describe each characteristics over settings, I can recommend more suitable skis for each skiers🤔

• Baller_

@FunoRyota - you have come to the right place, if anybody can answer your question it is @Horton.  He has tested many skis.  Each ski and ski manufacturer is different, for me there are several brands I am comfortable on and several I simply do not enjoy or perform well on.  The best approach is to have each skier test as many as they can before they commit to buying one.  Good luck.

• Like 1

• Baller

@FunoRyota are you asking, could all 67 Radar Vapors (just an example ski) of different shapes/models be setup with the same fin numbers or boot placement? Or a 67 inch HO Works O1 be setup the same as a 67 inch Vapor? 
I’m no shape engineer but every different shape/model is going to have such different characteristics, shape, bevel, tunnel width, depth, tail width, the list goes on, that I really don’t think the setup can ever be the same. I do believe fin numbers can often be reasonably close, but that’s never going to be reliably consistent. 
I think I may be misunderstanding the question 

• Like 2

• Administrators

@FunoRyota 

It is actually amazing how different some of the attributes of some high end skis are.  ... trying to think of an easy to explain example....

In the case of every Connelly high end ski in the last 20 years  -  I would describe the skis as free or loose in terms of roll off the second wake. This can be described as A )  the skier has to resist their shoulders falling toward the pylon off the second wake or B ) that the skiers feet move away from the pylon freely off the second wake.

All high end skis have this same attribute but in different amounts. In the case of the Connellys it is pretty distinctive especially when you have been riding a ski with less of this attribute. After you ride a Connelly all season or even for a dozen rides you might not even realize that the skis does this to the extreme. Riding one of these skis will very likely make you adjust the way you stand on the ski leaving the second wake without you realizing it.  

This attribute is not really a good thing or a bad thing. - it is a function of other attributes ( I think ). I usually ski better after I spend time on a Connelly because it forces me to work on this part of my skiing.  Maybe the one downside is that when trying new skis, the Connellys may give a bad first impression if the skier had been riding a ski at the other end of the spectrum.  If the skier sticks with it and maybe gets some coaching they may find they love the feel of the Connelly.  ( I am looking forward to reviewing the C1 in the Spring. )

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Goode HO Syndicate   KD Skis ★ MasterCraft ★ PerfSki  

Radar ★ Reflex ★ S Lines ★ Stokes

Drop a dime in the can

• Baller

I really like this thread! @Horton Connelly example made me think a bit differently about the question. Two different skis could, theoretically, be set up to make the skis act much the same if they were designed to function the same. But, a ski designed like the 24 Vapor that could almost ride tip-down without a fin (not really but I think you get what I mean) and a ski like the original GT would likely never ski like the Vapor. I love them both but they are designed to do things totally differently. That said, they are both designed to do the exact same thing: to run six buoys as short as you can get. It really makes me think how every high-end slalom ski ever has been designed to do that exact thing but you can’t tune two skis designed to ride differently to do it the same way. 

• Like 1

• Baller
5 hours ago, aupatking said:

@FunoRyota are you asking, could all 67 Radar Vapors (just an example ski) of different shapes/models be setup with the same fin numbers or boot placement? Or a 67 inch HO Works O1 be setup the same as a 67 inch Vapor? 
I’m no shape engineer but every different shape/model is going to have such different characteristics, shape, bevel, tunnel width, depth, tail width, the list goes on, that I really don’t think the setup can ever be the same. I do believe fin numbers can often be reasonably close, but that’s never going to be reliably consistent. 
I think I may be misunderstanding the question 

Thank you for the comment. 
I was not saying D3 ION's fin setting = Radar Vapor fin setting. 

If you could find the right fin number or boots placement for that ski, all ski's behavior will be the same...or not? 
because anything(turn , edge change, tip engagement, smear etc...) can be tuned by fin setting. 
@Hortongave me great answer . 

• Like 1

• Baller
12 hours ago, Horton said:

@FunoRyota 

It is actually amazing how different some of the attributes of some high end skis are.  ... trying to think of an easy to explain example....

In the case of every Connelly high end ski in the last 20 years  -  I would describe the skis as free or loose in terms of roll off the second wake. This can be described as A )  the skier has to resist their shoulders falling toward the pylon off the second wake or B ) that the skiers feet move away from the pylon freely off the second wake.

All high end skis have this same attribute but in different amounts. In the case of the Connellys it is pretty distinctive especially when you have been riding a ski with less of this attribute. After you ride a Connelly all season or even for a dozen rides you might not even realize that the skis does this to the extreme. Riding one of these skis will very likely make you adjust the way you stand on the ski leaving the second wake without you realizing it.  

This attribute is not really a good thing or a bad thing. - it is a function of other attributes ( I think ). I usually ski better after I spend time on a Connelly because it forces me to work on this part of my skiing.  Maybe the one downside is that when trying new skis, the Connellys may give a bad first impression if the skier had been riding a ski at the other end of the spectrum.  If the skier sticks with it and maybe gets some coaching they may find they love the feel of the Connelly.  ( I am looking forward to reviewing the C1 in the Spring. )

Thank you so much ! 
I understood very well!!