Transmission issue, please help!

ral

• Baller

We have an issue with our 2015 Nautique 200, PCM 5.7 engine. Out of the blue, reverse does not engage. Forward works well. As there was a low oil level, we filled with fluid, but the problem persists.

Any ideas or hints? I was told that there are no parts available for this transmission, so anything major would mean a transmission replacement.

Thanks!

• Baller
9 minutes ago, Kelvin said:

Same thing happened to my 2010 with the 40A transmission a couple of years ago.  Ended up replacing it with the newer 80A transmission.

Not the reply I was hoping for... But I guess there is a strong possibility of it being the case.

• Baller_

yea bite the bullet and get a new series 80 123:1  for your boats engine application. I recommend skidim or nautiqueparts.com for your conversion. it can be a puzzle as their are really no good instructions as these kits are equipped to cover a wide range of either ford or Chevrolet application. disregard if you have a livorsi all electric throttle control.  and yes the 80 can be rebuilt. however if it is Indeed electric shift be reminded a lot of those control's  have been updated/ replaced to date.

Edited by Jody_Seal
  • Like 1

• Baller

It's 80% unbolt and re-bolt.

The kit includes a different much larger transmission cooler. So that has to be fitted and requires some reworking of the raw water plumbing and mounting brackets due to the significantly larger size. It's about twice the size of the typical cooler that came from the factory with most 40 series installs. I don't know that the larger cooler is absolutely required with the 80 series, but I'm sure it's a good idea and will extend the life of the new transmission. 

Unless you're doing the electronic shifting version, the routing of the shift cable is fairly different than the 40 series. We had to reroute the shift cable to go under the engine with the 80 series. The original routing with the 40 series was over the engine. 

The kit also includes a new damper plate. Which is always a good idea to change when you're changing the transmission. But it's a fairly differently designed damper. So mounts to the flywheel a little differently. Not really a big deal but did cause a bit of confusion. I honestly can't remember why now.

And then of course you have to re-align the engine / trans / driveshaft

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1