Boat flooring options

bojans

• Baller

We are going to get new skins for our 196 this winter to redo the whole interior. Our carpet has seen better days so we would like to refresh the flooring as well. I do not think we want to do Seadek, Decadence is an interesting option. Has anyone found any other options? Any down side to going with Decadence? 

• Baller

I think a snap-in fitted carpet would be an excellent option, pull it out to clean it, no glue to deal with, and pop it back in.  Decadence in our club boat gets pretty hot on your feet on 100° days, and I can’t stand SeaDek…..I’ll take carpet any day.

• Like 1

• Baller

I really like Deckadence but it does get hot in Michigan summers.. I can’t imagine Florida or somewhere else in the south. But, it’s super durable,  practically stain-proof, and overall comfortable. 

There are off-brands for vinyl loop flooring / miner’s moss that can keep you from having to pay Deckadence prices.  

I have a tendency to put holes in Seadek so hard pass on that. 

• Baller_

Didn't the Carbon Pro have some sort of knurled texture on the regular fiberglass?  I'd probably try that, if some method of applying it in a gelcoat spray-on would be available.  You could always put a snap-in carpet or decadence-type of covering later, if you wanted.

Regular carpet needs to be dried or you deal with mold and odors.  A flooring option that eliminates or minimizes that, while retaining safe footing when wet, would be something to consider.

I would avoid another glue-in carpet, if possible.  I'm not sold on SeaDek either.  Still seems to need more maintenance to look good and, again, there could be mold or odor issues to deal with if not drying it fully.

The worst slalom equipment I own is between my ears.

• Baller

SeaDek material is proven over the last decade and is cleaned pretty easily with power washing.   Love decadence but it does get hot on the feet. Carpet has really seen its days and it gets hot as well.  Definitely keep it removable.

There are some interesting options in the pontoon world but they would require glue to install like carpet.

• Baller
On 12/8/2023 at 3:07 PM, Hockdog said:

I think a snap-in fitted carpet would be an excellent option, pull it out to clean it, no glue to deal with, and pop it back in.  Decadence in our club boat gets pretty hot on your feet on 100° days, and I can’t stand SeaDek…..I’ll take carpet any day.

I have a friend who added snap-in carpet to a 2016 Mastercraft, and it is a great set up. Like @Hockdog said, just pop it out to clean, or dry after a rain day.

• Baller

Seadeck gets dirty ridiculously easy.  Decadence will sear you feet in hot sunny weather.  We love tried and true snap-in carpet in our environment (FL) and it looks like new after 4 years.  It stays cool and soft under foot in our hottest Florida summers, hides dirt well, and cleans up with periodic vacuuming.  It won't dry as quickly as Decadence or Seadeck, yet we ski daily and it is never soggy the next day, just slightly damp in places at the very worst.

• Baller_

Decadence lets all the dirt fall right through. The textured gel coat floor of a Mastercraft eventually needs a lot of scrubbing to come clean. Back In my promo days, I would order 2 large entry floor mats from Consolidated Plastics. Then have my upholstery friend cut them to fit each side with heavy duty Velcro to attach the seam in front/back of the engine box. When they got wet and dirty after a tournament we’d just hang them over the fence and hit with the hose. Drip dry in minutes and then back in they’d go. 

• Like 1

• Baller

Deckadence type vinyl loop. Just drop it on top of the old carpet. Helps deaden sound too. Always looks clean, until you pull it up to clean. It’s amazing how much dirt filters through. Only two downsides, it gets pretty warm if you let it just sit in direct sun and the carpet takes a lot longer to dry

IMG_9253.jpeg