Swiss Pro Slalom - Sunday, May 5th, 2024

Click Here for the webcast

Closest Lake To Jacksonville Fl

DaveHofert

We've just moved to Fernandina Beach Fl.  Lots of boating in salt water, but looking for a place to take the family for a day of skiing in fresh water.  Looks like I have to go to Gainesville area or further south.  Not looking for a secret spot, but just looking for a lake that we can drag the family around and do a bit of swimming.  

Thanks!

• Baller

@DaveHofert check out Ocean Pond in Sanderson, near Lake City.  It's good size (1,700 acres or so) about an hour from J-ville I believe.  Nice double ramp, nice little park with a swimming beach and camping. Water is not clear however, at least any time I skied there, but rather tea colored from natural tannins.  There used to be a course on it, but I believe it is gone now.  Paid parking but I think you can buy a season pass.  I've skied Lake Santa Fe.  It's pretty big (5,800 acres).  The launch ramps in Melrose are useable, but not especially good and you'd want to be wearing a Hazmat suit before entering the public rest room at the ramps.  Then there is a longish narrow channel from ramps to the lake.   But it's a nice lake once you get there, though it can get pretty busy on weekends.  I can't quite remember much about the water clarity, other than it was not as tannin colored as Ocean Pond and is said to be clear.  I think there is also a beach park that may have a swimming area, but we've only gone to the ramps.   There is also a second ramp on the lake that was farther to get to, so we never used it and I can't comment on it.