Swiss Pro Slalom - Sunday, May 5th, 2024

Click Here for the webcast

If the NBA ceased to exist what would happen to the WNBA?

Horton

Trust me there is a point to this poll. BallOfSpray is not switching to basketball.  

38 members have voted

1. 1. If the NBA ceased to exist what would happen to the WNBA?

• The WNBA would be fine - it does not need the NBA
    • It would crater almost imeadeatly
    • I might survive but it would be a struggle

• Baller

I know what you’re getting at. My other post that I decided to delete was basically “damned if you do, damned if you don’t”

Surf boats will be the death of inboards and wakes on public lakes, but without surf boats, we aren’t getting new ski boats from the big 3. 

New ski boats aside, surf boats are also going to ruin it for the tens of thousands of already built ski boats that are using public waterways without issue, property damage, or much concern. 

If Joe Public could differentiate between surf boats and ski boats, I would vote to ban them on our 700 acre lake- simply put, they are detrimental to everyone and everything but themselves. But, if I go to the city and state my case (and win) against surf boats,  the result will probably be a broad no-wake rule. Therefore, I keep quiet..ish

• Like 5

• Baller_

Surf boats may actually lead to the demise of ski boats, not be their savior.  If regulations pass to strangle the ability to enjoy waterskiing there won't be much of a market for a ski boat.  Perhaps the sport can survive on private ski lakes although that may be a high risk approach.

• Like 2

• Baller

The WNBA to water skiing analogy is a failure. The WNBA likely would not have existed without the establishment of the NBA.  Waterskiing was popular decades before wake surfing was ever dreamed of. Horton should consider a self-Panda for his posts on this subject. 

An idiom that is a better analogy of what the public lake users are so passionate about is Don’t throw the baby (water skiing) out with the bath water (wake surfing). 

Don’t support/establish laws designed to remedy the problems created by wake surfers when they also restrict/eliminate water skiing on public lakes. 

• Like 2

• Baller

One interesting side note is that our lake is private, you need to live on it or have deeded access to use it. Except for a small number of surf boats, all of them on the lake are waterfront property owners.  So, their waves are impacting their own docks and shoreline as much as anyone else’s, but they’re also the ones with new hoists, docks, and seawalls that resist damage better. It’s ‘ol grand pappy with the wood dock, rock shoreline, and 1980s pontoon moored in the water that suffers the most. 

The number of surf boats compared to the number of pontoons and other watercraft is very very small.  As the saying goes, the few ruin it for the many. 

• Like 2

• Baller
7 hours ago, DW said:

Surf boats may actually lead to the demise of ski boats, not be their savior.  If regulations pass to strangle the ability to enjoy waterskiing there won't be much of a market for a ski boat.  Perhaps the sport can survive on private ski lakes although that may be a high risk approach.

Right. Surf boats are currently the savior of new ski boat production, but IF there are future sweeping regulations to ban surfing that happen to ban skiing as collateral damage, it’s not just new ski boats that disappear, it’s the ability to use all existing ski boats. 

Things got really bad with surfing during 2020 when fake money was created, everyone was working from home (the lake) and everyone overextended themselves to buy a new surf boat. Hopefully water finds its level in a few years, things settle down, and we all continue on for decades to come. 

• Baller

In todays world I think the answer to Horton's question is obvious:  Male NBA players would identify as female and play in the WNBA.  I would still choose $5 over having my favorite WNBA team win the title but then again I would choose $5 over having my favorite NBA team win the title.  

• Like 1
  • Heterodox 1
  • DIslike 1
  • Haha 3

• Baller

WNBA thrives in the right markets, especially in the basketball capital of the world CT. Also in Vegas, Seattle, NY and others. The wake boats and their obnoxious operatives are just another thorn in our side. Guessing it points to the all mighty buck.