Boat Shopping & have slalom wake questions

Siouxcitysmitty

• Baller

Dear Ballers, Happy Holidays and thanks in advance for your guidance!  I’ve searched and read thru several threads on this topic, but the info didn’t seem conclusive for my somewhat narrow requirements, so, appreciate your indulgence on yet another “best slalom wake” thread.

I’m looking to update my current boat (’04 Malibu Response LXI) while seeking an improved slalom wake in the 30-34mph, 15-22 off range.   I’m obviously familiar with my RLXI wake, and also ski on a friend’s ’06 Nautique 196 and LOVE that wake.  I’m not familiar with the wakes on the newer Prostars. Nautique 200’s and Malibu TXi’s and would appreciate any insights.   

Ignoring other considerations like price, driveability/tracking, ergos/amenities, trick wake, etc, how would you rank these boats for slalom wake in the 30-34mph, 15-22 off, range.  I put them in my perceived order (loosely based only on web research) from best to worst, and would love your feedback/corrections.   And hopefully, I have the correct years for hull-generations. If not, please correct me

1-Prostar 2021+

2-Prostar 2014-2020

3-Nautique 196 TSC2/TSC3 with zero off

4-Nautique 200 2010-2018

5-Nautique 200 2019+ hull

TXI?

My overall goal is to get a newer/nicer boat with all the positive attributes that come with it while making sure the wake for my specific range is as good or better than the 2002+ 196 (my known reference point).  Thanks so much!!!

• Administrators

@Siouxcitysmitty I am not sure that the wakes on the ProStar changed that much in 21. The 21 is a better boat but from 30 to 34 mph I would challenge you to find the difference in the wakes. 

As a 34 mph skier who starts at 32 off I would never complain about the 200 wakes. At slower speeds and longer lines, I think there are some spots where the rooster is big. Still a stellar boat

196s might have the smallest wakes on your list. Remember this a a lot smaller boat. It weighs less. I love these things but after you have sat in a modern boat for a few hours an old 196 feels pretty small. 

As for the boo, I like those boats. Seems to me there maybe there is more of a dish outside the crest of the wake than other boats. Somebody else will need to add to the boo details.

• Like 2

• Baller_

To start, you have a very nice performing boat and you also ski behind one that gets lots of accolades from BOS members.  That means whatever you choose on your list will be a subtle step up.  Everything you list is also excellent, so a great list.  I probably go Prostar > 196 > 200 but its close.  Prostar to me has a smaller 28 off wake than in particular the 200.  Also the engine selection can/will make a difference as the boat brand based on pull characteristics with the speed control.   

The differentiator ultimately may boil down to the dealership, your preference on how the boat is appointed, how it feels behind the drivers seat or the specific configuration (hard bow cover for the MC, ski lockers for the 200, etc.)  Good luck and happy shopping.

• Like 5

• Baller_

Even different boats of the same model may feel different - always ski before you buy.  I am a 15 off 30-32 skier and and happy behind a 196, 2 different 200's and a 2019 Nautique as well as two Malibu Sportsters and a Sunsetter - I do not notice the wake causing me any concerns on any of these boats.

• Like 3

• Baller

Biggest difference I notice skiing the 200, 196 & Prostar is at 30-32 mph and 22 off.  There is a small bump on the 196 & 200 wake that’s just not there on the Prostar.  

Best way I would describe the difference is if your just learning 22 off, the Prostar wake is more forgiving if you hit it on a flat ski.

• Like 2

• Baller

When I joined our ski club, we had a 07 196 with Zero off. After a couple of years, when my daughters were skiing for UNC, I bought a 200 so we and the team could ski at other lakes besides the ski club. At slower speeds, below 32, everyone thought the 200 had a noticeable smaller wake at 15 off than the 196. At 32 and higher, I really couldn't tell much difference. 

We had enough people that skied slower speeds at the ski club, that we sold the 196 and bought a 200 at the club. 

When I bought a lake house 4 years ago, we bought a 19 ProStar for there. The ProStar has an even better slow speed wake than the 200 according to my wife and her friends. 

I ski at 34 and am perfectly happy to ski behind the 200 at the club or the ProStar at the Lake House. My wife prefers driving the 200, but she does fine pulling me behind the ProStar as well. I prefer driving the ProStar because I like the livelier feel.

In terms of the overall quality of the boats, I think the ProStar is significantly better than the Nautique. Just about every rubber gasket on the engine box and every storage compartment has fallen off on the 200. Screws have fallen out of the hydrogate a couple of times and I had to completely rebuild the hydrogate with new metal plates once. The Pedal Position Sensor has failed a few times and the last time I had to upgrade to the revised part and re-flash the ECM. Also had to replace the 40 series transmission with an 80 series on the Nautique. 

I haven't had to do a thing beyond normal maintenance on the ProStar. Granted the 200 now has 4x the hours than my ProStar, but even at the current hours that are on the ProStar, I had to do a lot more stuff to the 200. I certainly wouldn't call the 200 a lemon or a bad boat by any means. But the ProStar has just been noticeable better. And that's compared against my personal 200 and the ski club's 200. 

• Like 2

• Baller

I'm a 15-22 off skier.  I didn't read the other comments yet but I will give my thoughts.  What are you looking for different in the newer boat - is it Zero Off?  Have you tried Z Box?   I have Z Box on my 2003 Sunsetter LXi and my ski partner has it in his 2005 Response LXI.   PP 9.3 and Z Box works well.  I think both of these boats are great at 15 off and typical at 22 off.   After skiing most boats that exist I think your response is 90% as good as any of them at those lengths.

At our ski lake we have most of the boats you mentioned.   I feel like the 1st Gen 200 is my favorite boat to ski behind but it is a close toss up to the 2014-2020 hull Mastercraft's that are also there.   We have a newer Prostar and I don't feel that it skis as well as the 14-20 hull but we might just have a 1 off there.

i would rate them in this order

1-Nautique 200 2010-2018,  Nautique 196 TSC2/TSC3 with zero off

2-Prostar 2014-2020

3-Prostar 2021+

have not skied Nautique 200 2019+ hull,  have not skied the new TXi

• Like 1

• Baller

Is cost a factor here?  Among the choices there is a wide differential on cost.  I see 2 low hour 196's on SIA asking $24K and $28K.  A low hour 2010 Nautique 200 for asking $32K--that might be a nice bang for your buck spot.  

Jump up to 2014-2020 or newer PS or 2019 + Nautique 200 and you pay a lot more. 

Everyone knows I love me a 196 and I love bang for my buck.  I did drive a new 200 last fall for a long day and really liked the drive and lack of saddle bag compartments.  Money no object new PS for wakes, quality, looks, features (like ski racks, super easy ZO interface etc).     

• Like 1

• Baller

In terms of hours, wouldn't you rather have one with average hours (roughly 50 or so per year) versus a low hour one so the things been run consistently over the years?  If so, you could get a little more bang for your book looking at one with average hours versus one with lower.

• Like 2

• Baller

I've had the following: 04 RLXi, 12 TXi, 16 TXi, 04 196, 12 200 (current boat)

1. 196/200
  2. TXi
  3. RLXi

I LOVE my 200 and would never go back to the TXi, but the reality is that both TXi's wake were damn close.  With eyes closed probably can't even tell the difference at the end of the rope.

• Like 1

• Baller

Big price difference between your choices.I would decide on a price and take your time and get the boat you want.However I think you need to drive and ski the different boats.I have owned many older boats and they all seem to handle and ski differently and we all have likes and dislikes........