Swiss Pro Slalom - Sunday, May 5th, 2024

Click Here for the webcast

2024 plans for your kids?

Horton

• Administrators

Does anyone have plans for 2024 and their Jr skiers?

FYI- this thread is in a limited section of the forum for parents of Jr skiers. If you want to post in this section just DM me and I will add you to the list.

Goode HO Syndicate   KD Skis ★ MasterCraft ★ PerfSki  

Radar ★ Reflex ★ S Lines ★ Stokes

Drop a dime in the can

• Baller

My 11 year old was up on the slalom ski and my 8 year old got up on 2 skis for their first times last year.  Tate lake was the spot and the warm water and perfect conditions were the reasons they both had a great weekend,  many thanks to Greg for allowing us to enjoy his place.  Since then I've bought wetsuits for both girls to take the chill out of the local lakes,  and I'm hoping to get one or 2 of their friends out with us.  I think having some friends join in the fun makes the experience that much better for the young ones.  I don't really care if they get better or even take to skiing.  I just want them to have the experience of the lake life.  It's so much more than just skiing, but I mean skiing does make the lake life better.   As long as they have fun is all I care.

• Like 2

• Baller

With my 14 year old boy, if we get out an even reasonable amount this year, he might likely make a 28 mph pass.  I'm really hoping we can go as a family a LOT to give him that opportunity.  

For my 11 year old girl, if we get out a bunch, the main goal is to get her deep water starting on 1 ski.  I really think she can do it.  

For my 8 year old boy, I want him to just keep getting more comfortable with the water, right now through kneeboarding.  It would be AWESOME if he could end up getting up on 2 skis and on the wakeboard this year, but that feels like a lot to ask at this exact moment.  I guess we will see.  

I haven't really told my kids that these are the goals I'm hoping for.  Nevertheless, it would just make my day if some of this progress could actually happen.  

• Like 1

• Baller

My 15 year old boy went from 23 mph to running 32 15 and taking shots at 34 last summer. He wants to be running 36 this summer. My 12 year old boy wants to make his first pass. 
he was got 5 last year at 21 15. 
I am going to take them to a ski school for a couple days in March.
The where is yet TBD, but somewhere I can get some sets too. 

• Like 1

• Baller

I’m trying to find a camp for my 7yr old grandson for slalom and trick. He runs in 24.9 mph in the course and has about 3-4 tricks on his trick ski. I feel he would progress more with a “camp” with lots of other kids rather than just taking him to a school for a week with us. I’m looking into Cobel ski school, anything else out there I’m not aware of?

• Like 1

• Administrators

@Shell

If you hosted a camp at your lake with all the local kids and had some decent Men 1 or Women 1 coach you would likely get the result you want. Heck, I would consider flying across the country for a kids camp at your lake. As posted in the other thread it is all about kids skiing around other kids. Most of the rest of it takes care of it self.

• Like 3

Drop a dime in the can

• Baller

@Horton I give them the ability to ski at least 3 time a week during school terms if they want, access to coaching when its available and we send them to ski schools when they are keen. 

This is our 3rd year tournament waterskiing so we are still learning what works best for each kid. but we keep it fun - Joel Poland has helped, hand drags around 6 ball and instagram posts are pretty standard - my son got all excided because Ball of Spray started following him on instagram the other day...... 

• Like 1

• Baller

My Junior in high school is in her last year of Junior skiing.  She's hoping to place in Regionals, and ski the Nationals since they are close.  Looking forward to College, she is hoping to develop a half way respectable trick pass.  She's been talking about overcoming her fears of the jump, and at least learning to plop over-we shall see.

• Like 3

• Administrators

@Hallpass

The most awesome thing I have ever done in life is jump but I do not want Buford to jump. At very least if your daughter is going to jump it needs to be with someone who REALLY knows what they are doing like @twhisper. If you do not have access to coaches who very much know what they are doing I am against it.

Drop a dime in the can

• Baller

First nationals (Australia) for my son this year in under 10 boys - It's a costly exercise on top of what already is an expensive sport but while he loves it I don't mind making it happen.  

• Like 5

• Baller
On 2/2/2024 at 10:45 PM, Hallpass said:

My Junior in high school is in her last year of Junior skiing.  She's hoping to place in Regionals, and ski the Nationals since they are close.  Looking forward to College, she is hoping to develop a half way respectable trick pass.  She's been talking about overcoming her fears of the jump, and at least learning to plop over-we shall see.

It's a difficult one, very easy to scare off after the first attempt i.e. the first fall. Mine has been over 7 times and not skied away yet (so close on at least 3 of them). He's planning a trip to a specific club for a weekend early season that has a 3ft ramp to "get it done" (and apparently I have to go over too) before going back to 4ft6 back home. 

• Baller
On 2/2/2024 at 5:38 PM, Horton said:

@Hallpass

The most awesome thing I have ever done in life is jump but I do not want Buford to jump. At very least if your daughter is going to jump it needs to be with someone who REALLY knows what they are doing like @twhisper. If you do not have access to coaches who very much know what they are doing I am against it.

Yep.  If she is going to do it, I want her to learn now with Terry, and not from some college kid when she gets there.

• Like 1

• Baller
9 hours ago, chrislandy said:

It's a difficult one, very easy to scare off after the first attempt i.e. the first fall. Mine has been over 7 times and not skied away yet (so close on at least 3 of them). He's planning a trip to a specific club for a weekend early season that has a 3ft ramp to "get it done" (and apparently I have to go over too) before going back to 4ft6 back home. 

She has flown pretty far during Super G ski races, but never really got over her fear there either.

It's up to her, I will buy all the gear.  But, to Horton's point, unless she can learn from Terry Winter, her primary coach, or one of the really well know jump coaches, it's not happening.

• Like 2

• Baller

Starting the kids out at Skifluid this upcoming spring break.  Really looking forward to it as my hope is to sit in the boat and absorb as much as I can to reinforce the teaching when we get home.  Also - being this will likely be the first passes of the season I want to start them out right. 

• Like 3

• Baller

Hoping my son will start skiing in early to mid April (just riding the trick ski until the water gets into the upper 50's). Midwest Jr dev down at Picos in early June, Wisconsin Jr dev in mid June and hopefully have a pro out to our site again in July. Hit 3-5 tournaments and end the year at Regionals in Wilmington. Looking to first and foremost stay healthy, slalom into -35, Trick over 2,500 and Jump 110'+.

• Like 3