Swiss Pro Slalom - Sunday, May 5th, 2024

Click Here for the webcast

Mens Record for 34mph?

• Baller

Hi everyone,

Out of curiosity does anyone know what the mens record for 34mph is? 

Nate Smiths record of 2.5@43 for 36mph is impressive. Is the record for 34mph more than 2.5 buoys?

Has Nate ran 43 at 34mph? Is that even possible?! 

What do you think it'll take to break the 2.5@43, 36mph record?

Thanks

• Baller_

@Brownie_09 You also asked "What do you think it'll take to break the 2.5@43, 36mph record?

That been discussed in the past on this forum.  Some say it will take something like, "If you can do 2.5 just keep going until you have done 6.

Other's say it will never happen.   I am in that camp. 

Edit . . . I was thinking your question was about running 6 balls.   3 balls has a much better chance of happening, which was your question.

Edited by swbca

• Baller
1 hour ago, skialex said:

Well… for a period it was 3@43 but some 15 years or more ago… the record was taken back from that hard working skier who also wanted to brake the 36 record at that time…

What is this story?

This is an extra account for @Horton 

If you see posts from this account it means I am working on something. 

• Baller
27 minutes ago, John Horton said:

What is this story?

Ahaha… one dr. Michaels…

record went back to Ben Favrett which at the time was 4@39…

joking really on my previous post… 😂 

also Jeff Rodgers holds a record that can’t be broken,

he is the first to run 39 and 41@36 and the first to run 41@34

• Like 1

• Baller_

@skialex Actually, Wade Cox ran 39  (1@41) on June 19, 1991 in Miami, FL, breaking Bob LaPoint’s record of 5 at 39 that had held since 1984. Jeff tied the record on July 1 of the same year in Madison, Ga. Jeff, of course, was the first to run 41, both at 36 and 34. 

These are, of course, record tournament scores. If you know of a Class C score of 6@39 or better prior to 6/19/91, I stand corrected. In my book, that would still be a first and the score would count (no ranking list back then, though), but it would not be a record and would not go in the books as such. 

Edited by lpskier
Fixed typo

Lpskier

• Baller_

I could be wrong but I don't think there is a world identified men 34/55 record. they have world tournament records. 

the jeff Rodgers score was the only identified record with AWSA that eclipsed the 10.25 line @ 34mph/55k.

• Administrators

Honestly, any 34mph/55k record is BS anyway. I mean ZERO disrespect to Jeff but any number of pros who were over 35 years old could have done it. As a rule, those guys just don't ski at 34 in tournaments. Jeff was simply the first guy to slow down and do it.

I do not recall.... What was Andy doing at the time? 

• Like 2

Goode HO Syndicate   KD Skis ★ MasterCraft ★ PerfSki  

Radar ★ Reflex ★ S Lines ★ Stokes

Drop a dime in the can

• Baller
31 minutes ago, Jody_Seal said:

I could be wrong but I don't think there is a world identified men 34/55 record. they have world tournament records. 

the jeff Rodgers score was the only identified record with AWSA that eclipsed the 10.25 line @ 34mph/55k.

That’s correct @Jody_Seal IWWF only maintains division records for scores achieved in the 35+ world championships. So event records, but not world records, per se.

• Baller
44 minutes ago, lpskier said:

@skialex Actually, Wade Cox ran 39  (1@41) on June 19, 1991 in Miami, FL, breaking Bob LaPoint’s record of 5 at 39 that had held since 1984. Jeff tied the record on July 1 of the same year in Madison, Ga. Jeff, of course, was the first to run 41, both at 36 and 34. 

These are, of course, record tournament scores. If you know of a Class C score of 6@39 or better prior to 6/19/91, I stand corrected. In my book, that would still be a first and the score would count (no ranking list back then, though), but it would not be a record and would not go in the books as such. 

@lpskier I was told about that, not sure and you probably know better. I like it that I know now that Wade Cox was the first to run 39. Very big fun of Wade and I really liked his ski style and him as a person.

• Baller
36 minutes ago, Horton said:

Honestly, any 34mph/55k record is BS anyway. I mean ZERO disrespect to Jeff but any number of pros who were over 35 years old could have done it. As a rule, those just don't ski at 34 in tournaments. Jeff was simply the first guy to slow down and do it.

I disagree agree @Horton that just because most over 35 pros,or former pros, choose not to ski 34 mph in tournament, that whoever does, shouldn’t have their performance recognized. 

• Baller_
38 minutes ago, Horton said:

Honestly, any 34mph/55k record is BS anyway. I mean ZERO disrespect to Jeff but any number of pros who were over 35 years old could have done it. As a rule, those just don't ski at 34 in tournaments. Jeff was simply the first guy to slow down and do it.

what year did jeff do this? It might have been the 4 year span he didnt ski what so ever and was on the golf course everyday instead? Or he may still have been at 36

Performance Ski and Surf 

Mike@perfski.com

👾

• Baller

Well I do agree with @Horton

We have a few guys today that can run deep 41 or run it at 36, that could compete at 34:

Asher, TGas, Corey, JT... and Nate and Freddie are 2 years away from graduating to 34...

Imagine what they can run at 34!

• Baller_
14 hours ago, Horton said:

@rico there are a bunch more. I would guess that any skier with a 3 @ 41 / 36 could just go get 6 @ 41 34. 

@Hortonand @rico, Cale Burdick has already done it in a class C (with SurePath).  1@34/-43 in 2023.

• Like 1

The worst slalom equipment I own is between my ears.

• Baller_

@mike_mapple Mike, Jeff ran 41 at 34 at Little Mountain in NC in September 2012 at age 45. He ran 4.5 the year before at the same tournament but got his thumb stuck in his life jacket hooking up out of four ball. He still made it over to five. 

Lpskier

• Baller_
1 hour ago, lpskier said:

@mike_mapple Mike, Jeff ran 41 at 34 at Little Mountain in NC in September 2012 at age 45. He ran 4.5 the year before at the same tournament but got his thumb stuck in his life jacket hooking up out of four ball. He still made it over to five. 

This would have been during my college time, so im pretty sure he was not really skiing, just a lot of biking and golf, and minimal skiing to answer hortons question of where was my dad during that time.

• Like 2

Performance Ski and Surf 

Mike@perfski.com

👾

• Baller
On 1/23/2024 at 8:19 PM, lpskier said:

As far as I know Mike Kjellander was the first to run 39@36 in a record tournament. I think it was 1988

• Baller_
On 1/23/2024 at 6:35 AM, Brownie_09 said:

Hi everyone,

Out of curiosity does anyone know what the mens record for 34mph is? 

Nate Smiths record of 2.5@43 for 36mph is impressive. Is the record for 34mph more than 2.5 buoys?

Has Nate ran 43 at 34mph? Is that even possible?! 

What do you think it'll take to break the 2.5@43, 36mph record?

Thanks

ive seen a few skiers turn 3 ball at 34mph, never seen anyone get back behind the boat after 4 though personally

• Like 2

Performance Ski and Surf 

Mike@perfski.com

👾