Moomba 2024 News

Horton

• Administrators

A few notes from the entry list.

Jacinta is on the list. You have to follow the IG link to see ladies' entries 🤷‍♂️ She had a baby Dec 2nd.  You can never count this woman out but that is fast to be back in the jump skis.

TWBC Vince is on the list for men's slalom. I assume he is not doing the broadcast but we can dream.

No Joel Poland.

I think the big big news is that Regina is on the list. Not sure the last time she was there but I believe she rarely travels out of the US for pro events.

• Baller
50 minutes ago, Horton said:

Little birdie tells me that this will be Regina's second-ever trip to Moomba. 

“Return to Baseline” article states that it’s Regina’s first trip to Moomba in more than a decade, and that she’s seeking her first title.

• Administrators

was it Poland last year who was randomly targeted by immigration at the airport and ejected because a pro ski event requires a work permit or something like that?

• Like 1

• Baller
On 2/3/2024 at 1:15 AM, Horton said:

was it Poland last year who was randomly targeted by immigration at the airport and ejected because a pro ski event requires a work permit or something like that?

I'm speaking from whispers I've heard but I believe yes that was the case, but it was a couple of years back and has been given a ban - just not sure how long the immigration ban is for. It's a shame as he would be a crowd favourite for sure.

Also why isn't @RobHazelwood coming to Moomba this year? You'll be missed. 

• Baller

Looks like they have changed the format to be only 2 rounds of slalom - one preliminary round on Saturday and the final on Monday (no Semi on Sunday).  They are using Sunday to do "top 10 missed finals" round of slalom.  As a spectator you come to watch the best of best. Not sure if the top skiers will like it or not like it - I mean it's hard to ski on the Yarra so an extra rest day could help? Or do they like to use the 2nd preliminary as a practice for the final - and there is no night slalom so really the top skiers only ski twice.  

• Like 1
  • Heterodox 1

• Administrators

My understanding about the Poland situation is he literally got banned because he was too honest. He did not actually do anything wrong from anyone's perspective except perhaps in Australian immigration official.

• Baller
45 minutes ago, Horton said:

My understanding about the Poland situation is he literally got banned because he was too honest. He did not actually do anything wrong from anyone's perspective except perhaps in Australian immigration official.

Honest after getting caught on the wrong Visa? I'm a Joel fan so I'm going to assume it was an honest mistake. I think it stinks and yes our immigration department have probably given him a harsh penalty. Most reports I've heard are that the ban was for a period of time not lifetime. All hearsay. 

Maybe we could craft a plan to sneak him in via NZ lol

• Like 1

• Baller
2 hours ago, RobHazelwood said:

Costs have just gotten insane for (what I didn’t realize had changed) to now two rounds of slalom (comes to around $2000 a round and that’s only if you make the final 😂) Pay has also dropped to only top 5 as of last year and to break even you still need to come second. I can cover around 4 of the European tour events for the same costs and a lot less emphasis on one event so it’s just not in the cards for me this year. We don’t do this sport for the money (obviously) and moomba is one of the most insane experiences I’ve ever had but enjoying a slightly more relaxed start to the season where I can try work on some habits and be ready for May instead! Hopefully next year 🤟

Yeah that's fair enough. I'm worried that if Moomba keeps dropping the slalom rounds (not that they can drop any more - annoyingly there is no night slalom either) more and more pros will have the same feeling and then Moomba becomes a far less important event. Would be good to see it as a pro tour round for points again and more prize money to help cover costs. 

I thought more pro's would chase some coaching over here in the lead up (given its our peak season) or afterwards to help cover costs - or Australia need to have some more tournaments close to Moomba with some prize money.

You were very generous with your time on the banks of the Yarra last year with my son and I and it gave him a little boost and this summer he's been keen as so thanks for that.

• Like 4

• Baller
10 hours ago, LK_skier said:

Yeah that's fair enough. I'm worried that if Moomba keeps dropping the slalom rounds (not that they can drop any more - annoyingly there is no night slalom either) more and more pros will have the same feeling and then Moomba becomes a far less important event. Would be good to see it as a pro tour round for points again and more prize money to help cover costs. 

I thought more pro's would chase some coaching over here in the lead up (given its our peak season) or afterwards to help cover costs - or Australia need to have some more tournaments close to Moomba with some prize money.

You were very generous with your time on the banks of the Yarra last year with my son and I and it gave him a little boost and this summer he's been keen as so thanks for that.

Coaching is great but can be tough to find! A tournament would be awesome as it would give us another perform! it’s the fact we only get one opportunity to ski for all the time and effort. Like you say the loss of night slalom was a big loss as that was one of the most fun experiences I’ve ever had on the water! I’ve heard a normal 2 rounds then final format requested before which would be awesome but I think it makes timing tricky for an already tight schedule! 

I take nothing away from what they organize! The event is amazing and I am sure it is an incredibly tough and stressful event to organize and put together and I wish I could support it but unfortunately I cannot this year! I am however very excited to watch the action and see who comes out on top!

• Like 3

• Administrators

Here is the schedule for Moomba. https://www.moombamasters.com.au/masters-results-2020/2022-moomba-masters-schedule/

If anyone has access to the actual schedule spreadsheet I would love to have it. I want to create a time zone corrected sheet to help skiers in North America watch the event. 

• Like 2

• Baller

Hearing rumours Nate isn’t coming now. I’m struggling to understand the Moomba format. I travel to Moomba to have a once a year opportunity to watch the best in the world ski and this year that is only twice on Saturday and Monday for single event slalomers. If they keep this up the top slalom skiers are unlikely to turn up and Moomba will not be the esteemed event many of us think it is. At least bring back night slalom ! 

• Like 2

• Administrators

When I look at the schedule I see only a Prelim and a 10-skier Final plus a consolation round for skiers who did not make the final.

image.png 

Don't be confused by the rules on the Moomba website. They say 2024 and then they say 2023... I suspect they have not updated the rules for this year to reflect the schedule change. https://www.moombamasters.com.au/moomba-masters-2023-rules/

@LK_skier At most a Pro skier might ski 3 rounds in a normal event. Moomba only having a prelim and a final is not crazy unusual.