Air Canada Hates Water Skis

Laz

• Baller

Look what happened to my 2024 Vapor Pro Build:

Got to the hotel and saw this damage. 

I filed a report, sent lots of pictures.  Now, I suppose, I’m at the mercy of the airline. IMG_0741.jpeg

Any other suggestions?

• Baller

@Laz there is hope, same thing happened to me flying Delta some years back, made a complaint AT the airport (always check your stuff immediately AT the airport) supplied photos and an invoice for the ski, filled out all paperwork and they reimbursed me for the ski. Not sure if you used a sport tube, but after my mishap, I bought 2 sport tubes! Never had an issue since. Good luck!

• Baller

Last summer, on the way to SanGervasio. Ski tip was damaged, I took pictures at the airport and left so I would not miss my ski set.
Send a Mail to the airline explaining everything, with photos, an invoice for the tube and a link to the manufacturer’s site of the ski and its cost. I’ve got a reimbursement that covered the ski and tube.

repaired both…

33230C9D-57A8-49C1-BA15-A67D2168D0BA.jpeg

• Like 2

• Baller
24 minutes ago, skialex said:

Last summer, on the way to SanGervasio. Ski tip was damaged, I took pictures at the airport and left so I would not miss my ski set.
Send a Mail to the airline explaining everything, with photos, an invoice for the tube and a link to the manufacturer’s site of the ski and its cost. I’ve got a reimbursement that covered the ski and tube.

repaired both…

33230C9D-57A8-49C1-BA15-A67D2168D0BA.jpeg

Skied that week and bought new ski after that. Sportube… I’m still using the same one.

• Baller

Bummer - looks like you at Ann McGinnis’ place in Fort Lauderdale?

if so it might be the baggage handlers at that airport, I was there a few weeks ago and the plastic shielding on the side of my masterline bag got torn off, fortunately no damage to the ski.

Ann said the week before one her clients ski bags got run over and destroyed the skiis and the sport tube.

• Baller

The Sport tube must've been beat up too, should be a no brainer for the airline to go good for it?

I got a pretty good ding in my tube on one trip but no damage to the contents or ski, I highly recommend the tube!

• Baller

I have had 2 senate pro's crack at the exact same spot, first one was not in a sportstube, and the second one was!! I think that the ski was maybe tight to the ends of the tube and that put pressure on the tip.  This year I am going to use my CNC machine to custom cut some foam  to the exact shape of my ski and the shape of the sportstube........ hopefully it helps.

• Baller

I will ad though that when I use my tube, my ski is also in a neo ski sock with fin protector. It fits so why not? Will need it at the lake too. My Reflex boots and plates go in my carry on. I seem to always have lots of room and the tube goes oversize baggage at no extra cost.

• Baller

At the risk of totally jinxing myself, a soft roller bag has never failed me. I don't know if they instinctively go easier on it or what, but I travel at least once, maybe up to 3x per year with it. Never an issue. I'd also imagine it is way easier for TSA to inspect than sliding apart some tube packed with gear.

• Baller

I mostly use a radar, soft roller bag. However, on this trip, we were traveling with 3 skis. 

All skis were also in a sock with fin protector. 

We are frequent fliers with AC and have been traveling with skis for 17 years with this being the first issue.  Hopefully, they will take pitty on us. 

• Like 2

• Baller_

a number of years ago flying to Australia,  radar in sport tube. got their and did not notice wrinkling on the endvofvthe sport tube. got to mulwalla to find my radar looking just like the one pictured above. put the ski back in the sport tube til the return to Florida. when I hit panama city I went directly to the delta counter and filed a damage claim and showed the attendant the dammage.. Delta covered both the ski and the sport tube. the key is getting the damage assessment done in the airport for full coverage.

• Like 1

• Baller

We may need to travel with jumpers.  We have the three event bags.  Last time I flew with jumpers they were a lot shorter and I used I large PVC pipe and screwed caps on the end for a travel case.   But I suspect with security that strategy would be frowned upon now.  

Any thoughts on the best way to fly with jumpers?  

• Baller

We found out the airlines will only cover damage to a ski if the damage is reported prior to leaving the airport.  We always take our skis out of the sportstube in the baggage claim area and inspect for damage.  Kind of a PITA but worth the hassle!!

• Like 1

• Baller
12 minutes ago, sunperch said:

We found out the airlines will only cover damage to a ski if the damage is reported prior to leaving the airport.  We always take our skis out of the sportstube in the baggage claim area and inspect for damage.  Kind of a PITA but worth the hassle!!

Worst case I suppose if you noticed this on the way in to the destination but not at the airport,  you could always "notice it" on the return flight if this is the requirement.

• Like 1

• Supporting Member

I found my slalom and trick ski broken after I got home. Airline wouldn’t cover it. My credit card said I was insured for it but they wanted me to turn into homeowner’s insurance first. I live in California where insurance loves to cancel any policies they can so I never turned it in. 

• Baller

Such total BS!

Here's the deal, ya took my money in exchange for getting my stuff safely to a previously agreed destination. If something goes wrong and you lose or break my stuff, there should be no discussion, you pay or replace. It was your screw up, not mine. 

• Baller

Shock of shocks, Air Canada came through.

It took almost three week and a bit of back and forth, but in the end they agreed and paid for a new ski. 

They did not agree to pay for a new skier.  So it will be the old me on the new ski.

• Like 4
  • Haha 2