Swiss Pro Slalom - Sunday, May 5th, 2024

Click Here for the webcast

ACL Question

MDuffin

• Baller

I ski right foot forward.   Suffered a complete left knee ACL tear 2/6 as part of a more complex injury.   They repaired lateral meniscus root tear and partial meniscectomy from bucket handle tear if medial meniscus.  

looking to hear others experience returning to skiing without surgical repair of ACL.    I use toe plate and looking to get back to current level as recreational skier, typically skiing 15 or  22 off and 34mph.   I’ll be 57 in June.   ACL repair is not off the table.   But hoping I can get by without it 

• Administrators

@MDuffin

well this is a hard one. I completely tore my ACL when I was young and had it repaired. A year later I did my PCL which ended my jumping career. What I've seen from other skiers over the years is that with the use of a brace and some duct tape many skiers are able to cope without an ACL. As I'm sure you know, your ACL is a critical ligament, so doing much athletic without it is going to be a challenge.

if I understand your above post correctly, you are right foot forward and for your left ACL. I would think this is the best case scenario and you would want to run a kicker or loose back binding and my as long as you have good leg strength in addition to the protection of the tape / brace you can ski.

So you're not necessarily screwed but it may be challenging.

• Like 1

• Baller

@MDuffinNot exactly the same, but similar.  I am right foot forward, but have a torn right ACL.  Tore it back when I was in high school (in a chariot race for Latin club....yeah, alcohol was involved) Anyway, never repaired, but over the years had the torn ends trimmed  as well as 2 surgeries to trim MMC tears.  Currently 67 and have never had an issue.  Use double rubber boots (D3 black out front and Wiley rear).  When skiing my best a few years ago, got through 39 off, still skiing at 34 mph and get through 38 on a good day.  For me, the issue of lateral instability is when the leg is straight.  As long as the knee is bent slightly, the muscles seem to stabilize the knee. Best wishes for a rapid recovery and hope your outcome is similar to mine and you can get back on the water with no issues.

• Like 1

• Baller

RFF and and 30 years ago Right ACL detachment when hitting the ramp and the re-entry didn't help either. didn't have it repaired at the time because couldn't afford the time off work (and cost). Got back to slalom only but using double Wileys and had a proper knee brace the type they measure you up for. After a while I didn't really notice it but took it carefully and no last buoy at all costs. Confidence does come back though. Good luck

• Like 1

• Baller

Build up those leg muscles, weights, cycle, whatever works for you. I'm LFF, tore my acl in the right and pcl in the left, double Reflex with no issues. I skied moguls like crazy as soon as I could, built up the surrounding muscles best I could. I used braces snow skiing but not water. Compensate for the deficiencies.

• Like 2

• Baller

I ruptured my back leg ACL and never had it repaired. I planned too.  But my Dr left his existing practice and moved to another and when that happened, we never rescheduled.  Now, I am also a cyclist and continued riding even the week I ruptured it.  Which the doctor said is why I wasn't forced to have it repaired.  If you're doing cutting or jumping sports, like Basketball, having it repaired is mandatory.  But after strengthening all of the muscles in my legs I've never felt a need for it.  

• Like 2

• Baller

Thank you.   My sports and activities that I’d consider most demanding for me,  that  I will continue pursuing,  are downhill and waterskiing and training  and running bird dogs.   

• Baller

I'm RFF and blew my left ACL snow skiing. I could tell you my whole saga but I'll try to keep it fairly short. Basically I blew my ACL in Dec 2019 and had ACL reconstruction Feb 2020. I was 39 and both my doctor and I believed that to continue doing all the aggressive activities that I do, I would need surgery. I can tell you that the surgery itself takes about an hour or so and you go home before lunch but the recovery is pretty terrible in both physical and mental aspects. I had no idea that it would be so tough on me mentally but I also had to deal with it during the peak of covid so I didn't get a lot of social interaction to help. I read that 4-6 months of physical therapy was typical. I actually enjoyed PT as it let me leave work early 2 days a week  in exchange for an hour of getting my butt whooped into shape. By 3.5 months, they had me doing full sprints outside but quick turns were still a little painful. By the 4th month, they basically gave me the boot and said "you're as good as we can get you and the rest is on you". Unfortunately, I didn't ski the first summer after surgery and didn't snow ski the next winter either but I think I was more afraid to to tear it again vs not being physically ready. Covid didn't really help with those either though. 

I do have a little lingering pain from time to time due to the cartilage wearing down under my kneecap. However, I'm back to mtn biking, rock climbing, snow skiing in the trees and moguls, and waterskiing into 32off at 34mph. I run a Reflex front and toe plate rear and have for many years. My PB waterskiing pre-surgery was 1 at 38off at 34mph and I've been knocking on the door of 35off again but I think that's more to do with me doing less course skiing these in favor of other life events and not surgery related. I still have a little PTSD prior to going snow skiing but once I get on the slopes, that pretty much goes away. Is my knee perfect like pre-surgery....definitely not but I can still do all of the things I used to. Some things are harder like lowering myself down off a tall step and some things I don't do anymore like squat down on my heels but if you can get through the mental blocks, the physical issues aren't that bad.

Regina Jaquess probably said it best in a quick interview after her ACL surgery...   Minute 53:00 of this documentary 

• Like 1

• Baller

My wife had ACL surgery after a snow ski fluke injury. Cadaver tendon. After 1 year she was 100% (waterskiing including toe tricks on the repaired toe leg, tennis and bump snow skiing). Still going strong.

Don't be afraid of the surgery. And do the PT.

Eric

• Like 1

• Baller

Interesting Post Ballers.  I tore my right ACL in January 2023. I’m 57, have been playing competitive rec league hockey forever. Tore mine in a game, first knee injury ever. It’s a grade three, orthopaedic surgeon says reconstruction surgery required to skate again. I haven’t made a decision yet. 
Sad irony for me  was  that we bought a used Response in Oct 2022 after not skiing for about 15 years.  Anyways, I did ski last year with a brace, I’m RFF, torn right ACL. 
I am now working out at gym.
What exercises / drills would you recommend for strengthening the leg and other parts of the knee?

Hutch

• Like 1