Perfect Pass software updates

Steven_Haines

• Baller

Has anyone had the opportunity to try their new software update?  I currently have rev. 8.7 I believe. I see that they now have rev. 9.0. I’m wondering if this new version has helped while using Z Box? I have a ‘95 Response with a 300 hp throttle body Mercruiser. For an older boat, mine is super solid and ski’s very well. Add Z Box into the mix and it’s freaking terrible!!! I run the tach inverted which helps but it’s still a bloody messy rodeo ride! I absolutely hate it! So I don’t use it but I’d really like to. 
Before I reach out to Perfect Pass again I was hoping to hear true on water experience with it.

Just to be very clear here, I’m not slamming Perfect Pass. I’ve happily used their product for years and have experienced excellent customer service from them.

A73637A7-326F-46A7-A4CF-A7A12259DA68.jpeg

• Baller

I upgraded 2 boats to 9.3 in 2022, both have Z Box and both work great.  Sunsetter LXI and Response LXI.  My friend with a 90's Prostar 190 did the same install with Z Box.

You might not have a good return spring situation or maybe it's just a need of the new software.   If you get it just for the quick lock in and much easier to change set speed - those 2 things alone are worth it

• Like 1

• Baller

Usually when stargazer is running well (ball times within a couple of thousandths) zbox runs good as well. That said the newer version is much better without performing background setting changes. 

• Like 1

• Baller

Its a 3 legged stool. 

1: Make sure you have a good return spring and if the throttle lever pulls back towards neutral on its own add a throttle cable brake since most controls don't have a friction adjustment on most of the older boats "enough" return spring will tend to make the boat slow down on its own if you don't hold it.

2: Voltage to the head unit - particularly on the older boats that don't have their own "PP harness" but even on some that do you need to have good solid voltage to the unit because that servo motor is THIRSTY the power you tap into the PP doesn't just run a few small electronics in the gauge and master module but provides power to the servo, feel how hot that gets sometime it uses juice and if it doesn't have enough power it won't be responsive.

3: Software update, the early versions of stargazer sucked but you could still run them if you solved for the first two problems, I think a lot of the overrunning was simply the servo responding slowly and the throttle hanging up.

• Like 1

• Baller

If you are just now noticing that version 9 of the software is available when it's been available for several years, I have to wonder if you have updated firmware in the GPS. There was an update to fix a bug that caused problems back in late 2019.

• Like 1

• Baller

to join the beating of the dead horse, update it to 9.whatever they're on now. I had a 1997 SN 196 that I installed, I believe, 9.2 (may have been 9.1). It was great! It picked up very fast, even on our very short lake setup and held great times through the course. It was as good as the Z-box had been in my previous boat, if not better

• Like 1

• Baller

Thanks guys for all of your great information and sorry for my slow response. HVAC in Montana is insane right now. 
i didn’t realize that the puck was an issue as well. Thank you for the insight! I’m really glad to hear that the new update is working so well for you guys. I’m hopeful that replacing the puck and software will do the trick!

Thanks again!

Steve

• Baller

You can upgrade the puck yourself if you are comfortable building a serial interface.  The software is available (and pin out instructions) are available on Garmins website.  

At the time, there was a GPS week rollover that messed up puck.  V4.2 fixed it.  it changed the behaviour significantly in terms of lock on time and reliability. 

• Like 1

• Baller

You can update the puck yourself. I've done it but it is super fiddly, you'd have to be a geek to want to do it. PP puckks and Zero off dual pucks are exactly the same and both have the same problems. Since April 6th 2019, the pull has absoultely sucked for both zero off and PP if their pucks have not been updated to a version that fixes the GPS rollover bug. Zero off pucks use a different connector and you can update those a little easier (although it is still super fiddly the first time you have to set it up). PP pucks although identical have a connector that is missing a wire so you have to strip it back. If you're set up, you could probably pump them out in 10 minutes each or less. I've done a few and it would take me an hour to do it. Anyway, send the puck back to PP and get the software update. It will be a new boat!

• Like 1

• Baller

I have had 9.2 for at least two years. It works perfect. Never had any issues with any version. Yes I have the extra return spring and ground wire and checked all the grounds also. I only did that to be proactive in maintenance. I have a carb, it is not drive by wire. My friends have ZO and they wouldn't ski behind my boat for years. Situations changed and for a little bit he had to ski behind my boat. He was very happy with it and did not see that much of a difference. (I'm talking about a 41' skier here.) I don't ski any better or worse behind his boat or mine. Yes I've also had my puck updated couple years ago also. They do it for free, you just pay for the shipping. I have had one issue with perfect pass and only one. And it has nothing to do with speed control per se. After getting my PP display wet over the years (numerous times) it was finally time to replace it. I get the new display, I put it in. Everything seemed fine until I started using the contrast buttons. Increasing the contrast actually decreased it. Okay, I call PP. They're telling me that no, "This is the way it's supposed to work." I'm telling them that is not the way it's supposed to work you are decreasing the contrast. At any rate we went back and forth with it and I have to live with it. There was just no getting them to admit that this was wrong. You know, I hang out in Canada a lot and unless I'm missing something the word decrease and increase mean the same thing in Canada as they do in the US. (I'm not talking about the letter Z). It is what it is. Having said that I don't know why you would ask this forum first anything in regards to PP problems. I've never seen a group more easily accessible and want to help with their product then the staff at PP. They're the best. To be totally honest I would feel disloyal buying something with ZO in it. I read these guys on here with all these wacky background settings and I have to scratch my head. It's like what? I never have had these issues. I'm not discounting anything that people claim they're having problems with but I have never had any. I don't think you could go wrong spending the money on it. You know, you could spend a $100 k plus if you want ZO on a new boat. I think NOT.

• Baller

Thanks Guys, I don’t have the technical savvy, patience or time to update the puck lol. I’m going to get the update and new puck coming today. As for a new boat, I get a lot of opportunities to ski behind all the new stuff. The fact is, I don’t ski any better or any worse behind either and I really like my old boat. I’m really excited after hearing such great reviews about this newer version. 
We have open water with buoy’s floating,  now if only Montana’s weather will quit messing around maybe we can get some water time.

• Like 1

• Baller

If I recall it was around the beginning of April 2019 that the rollover error occurred.  Mine was a disaster, long lock times, surging, odd performance.  

After the upgrade (Garmin v4.20) it not only corrected all of the above issues, but I believe that the performance and pull of the system was much improved.  There were a couple of other minor version changes shortly after, and I think I landed on v4.40

• Baller

Just an FYI, I emailed with Mark at PP and he told me that they would reprogram my puck for free. How can you beat that? Their customer service rocks!!! He did say that there’s a few pucks manufactured around 2008-2009 that they haven’t had luck reprogramming.

• Like 2

• Baller

my puck is a newer one and no issues.  My friends boat who runs the same software but never updated the puck ...once in a while it will surge before locking on a pass.