Swiss Pro Slalom - Sunday, May 5th, 2024

Click Here for the webcast

94 Prostar engine cover : tacking vinyls in fiberglass ?

Andre

• Baller

I'm having the boat vinyls change by a good and experience lady but she's having problems tacking the vinyls in 30 years old fiberglass.Old skins were also tacked in but not sure how much fiberglass was cured when they were doing it at the factory Anyone with tricks or experience on that ?

Thanks for any help! Pix of before and part of the passenger seat and driver seat that i got yesterday.

20240308_145255.jpg

20240307_160555.jpg

20240330_094004.jpg

• Baller

There aren’t any staples into fiberglass. There’s a plastic strip riveted around the motor box that covers the top edge of the carpet, then the vinyl is stapled into that strip and the edge is covered with the folded vinyl “hidem” strip. 

• Like 1

• Baller

I also removed the combing pads definitively and fabricated some aluminum ski racks.Pix of the racks but be aware that the boat was really  dirty under the combing pads and it's still too cold here to do fiberglass and gelcoat works to patch holes of the studs that were holding pads to the fiberglass. The 94 Prostar is a small boat compare to today's standards and clearing the floor of the skis when we're 3-4 skiers will help.

Here's some live pics of the racks. Bended manually some 1/4 × 2" flat bar for the main part and the holders are 1/8 flat bar. Front top part will be bolt trough where you see the stud andbottom will be SS screws where the pads were screws. Back part will be in the floor screws only. It's tight in there for 2 skis and you have to be careful how you place your ski...but it fits! Had to get the old Nomad RC for testing purpose.

20240330_100231.jpg

20240330_100243.jpg

20240330_100254.jpg

35 minutes ago, Mastercrafter said:

There aren’t any staples into fiberglass. There’s a plastic strip riveted around the motor box that covers the top edge of the carpet, then the vinyl is stapled into that strip and the edge is covered with the folded vinyl “hidem” strip. 

Aaaah,thanks! She told me the old one was tacked.Gonna have to be creative here i think.

Combing pad before and will finish the rough fiberglass edge with the rubber U edge trim.

20240307_160607.jpg

17118095812828605724288777185428.jpg