SKI SIZE. 66 OR 67

• Baller

I weigh around 175 depending on the day and being old it seems to fluctuate.I seem to be right on the bubble when choosing between 66 or 67 ski.I seem to choose the 67 more and I am curious to what are the benefits for a longer ski.I have heard that a longer ski gives you more surface area and you won't tire out as fast.So ballers help me out on this issue.....Whats better for an old guy...I only open water ski at 34 to 36 mph depending on conditions

• Baller

67, IMO, depending on the ski you are looking at.   Bigger generally means easier starts, less effort skiing, more stable platform to stand on.  And a little extra width won't hurt either if you are looking at a ski like the Senate (which does not come in a 66).   

• Like 1

• Administrators

for Open water skiing at 34 and or 36, you might as well upsize to a 67. deep water starts will be significantly easier and the physical effort to ski will be less. The ski is going to turn a little slower but I think you'll be happier.

• Like 2

This question is perfect timing. I was just looking at buying a Radar Senate Graphite, 65 or 67.  I’m 5’5” and 63kg. I’m currently on a 67” D3 and wondered whether I should drop onto a 65” with my new ski, but I think I’ll stick with 67” now. My main priority to minimise injuries, and ski longer into my 60’s.  This forum is awesome, I wish I’d found it sooner.

• Baller

I think you are well within the range where you could use the 65" Senate, but bigger is generally better for ease of starts and longevity as long as you can get the bigger ski to turn.  In your case, given that your weight is well within the 65" Senate range, if you have the ability to demo a 65" I think it would be worth seeing how you like it.  

• Like 1