2017 SN200 Polk Stereo not communicating with Linc System

WIRiverRat

• Baller

I got a new to me 2017 SN200.  Everything works great except I can not get the Polk AU4A head unit to communicate with the linc system.  I tried replacing the cables between the two and get nothing.  The stereo works fine on its own but its a pain to have to go in the glove box whenever you want to adjust the volume etc.  Is there firmware updates or anything I should be looking for?  

• Baller

You replaced the 4 pin JDAB Cable ?

Nautique went to JL Audio Receivers in 2018 and they put out retrofit firmware for the LINC screens for folks with the Polk Units that wanted to upgrade. If someone installed that firmware on your boat, that would cause the issue. Can you post a picture of the LINC screen firmware version screen.

Fyi, JL Audio also uses NMEA 2k interface between LINC Screen and the JL Head Unit. So there are different wiring harnesses. But I wouldn't think your boat would have the different wiring harness unless someone upgraded your boat to JL Audio, but they pulled it out before selling it. Seems like the Polk units had issues with bluetooth not working reliably. Most people like the JL Audio better, so that's why Nautique made the updates available. 

• Baller

Yes I replaced the 4 pin JDAB cable.  I did it with a generic cable off amazon but I don't see that making any difference vs using the polk branded cable.  The original polk cable in there seems to be in fine condition.  I got rid of the Y splitter and wired the linc directly to the polk unit, no difference.    

I have read people having issues with the polk unit, mine seems to be fine and has no issues with bluetooth.

Linc version is 2011030.2.7.10466/ 3EMY2015

Application - 2.7.10219

OS 2.7.20021

Bootloader 2.7.20045

Config 2.3.15030

I don't think the firmware has been upgraded, when you click on the stereo button on the linc screen it displays the polk logo.

Thanks for any help.  The closest dealer is 3 hours away, not looking for a long trip just for the stereo.  

• Baller

Yes, that looks like firmware that should work with the Polk.

The only other thought that comes to mind is maybe there is a setting somewhere in the polk to turn on / off the external control interface. On the Fusion head units for example, there is a setting to enable and disable the NMEA 2K interface. 

Other than that, I guess something could be wrong with the Polk or the LINC screen. I think it would be much more likely to be the Polk than the LINC screen. 

• Baller

You're not missing much, anyway. The interface is clunky and the BT never lets go of the phone, it'll auto-play and connect behind the scenes for months without you even knowing it. I have to "forget" the Polk connection on my phone every time I use it. The volume curve and resolution is really bad and the auto-volume is really poorly calibrated. Pretty much a useless system as-is on that era SN.

• Baller

I see there is a nautique bulletin for upgrading the stereo to the newer JL head unit however it seems it is only for the G series boats.  I called my "local" (3 hours away) dealer and they have not been able to get me an answer on if I could do the upgrade on a 200.  Anyone know if this is possible on the 200.  I am guessing the limiting factor is the linc firmware.  Is there a non touchscreen version compatible with the JL head unit.  

• Baller

The bluetooth on mine actually works just fine.  No disconnecting, freezing etc.  It would really just be nice to have the auto volume so its quiet when setting down and gets louder when up on plane.  If its not possible I'll just have to live with it how it is and adjust volume from my phone.  I have a hard time not having everything work as it should.  

• Baller

Watching with interest - I have the same issue in my 2015 200.  My bluetooth also doesn't work.  I was thinking of just adding in a fusion and doing all via my phone.  Although I don't play music a lot tbh.