2001 Infinity ZX-1 (Zero Off Engine Swap?)

• Baller

I am vice president of the WWU Waterski Team, and we're in a bit of a dilemma. Our 2001 PCM 5.7 is getting up there (Around 1500 Hours), and we are hoping to throw something newer in, post-2007 so that we could have the ability to practice with ZO.

Firstly, we are trying to weigh some costs currently trying to find out if this would be even doable with our current budget. Has anyone done a similar swap in the past and if so, how much for labor and parts? From what I've read I'm assuming we'll need both a newer engine, as well as an electronic transmission. I'm also curious if the V-Drive in the Infinity would mess up any of this. We are willing to spend a solid chunk of money on this fix instead of a new boat, mostly due to the complications that arise from trying to sell this high-hour boat, and consequently having to buy a non-ZO boat, through the school. They are immensely incapable and we'd probably not be able to ski for a full year or so. 

Secondly, does anyone know anyone in the PNW trying to sell a 5.7 Excalibur Bob-tail? We are trying to have this done by next fall so that nationals prep is still feasible. With that in mind, are there any PNW boat mechanics in particular y'all would recommend? 

Thanks for any and all info!!!

• Baller

Ive seen a guy named Doug Moss on Facebook, perhaps the Waterski Hub page, a California guy, who travels around doing zero off conversions. 

Of course on BoS Jody is the ZO guru and can probably chime in on if it is possible for your boat.

Keep that oil changed and that engine will run another 1500 hours!

Also maybe @leeski?

• Baller

I assume you don't really mean v-drive, the ZX-1 in a direct drive. I'm guessing you mean transmission. Does the boat currently have a PCM 40a transmission? You also don't need an electronic transmission to install ZO. But you are correct that you need a newer engine. ZO will only work with 2007/2008 or newer engine that has an eControls ECM. 

1500 hours isn't that bad as @VermontSkier said if it's well maintained. We run all of our club boats up into the 2500 to 3000 hour range w/o too much trouble. 

If you're doing this to have a more reliable boat, then you really would want a new PCM 80A transmission. PCM doesn't sell parts anymore for the 40a, and to be honest your transmission with 1500 hours is much more likely to give out than your engine. 

With engine and transmission, you're probably looking at 20-25k total cost at a minimum. Honestly, I think you'd be better off selling and buying a new boat.

Or in this is a case, considering your time constraints, installing Perfect Pass Stargazer and Z-box if you don't already have it may be the best option. 

I just remembered this, Skip has an new PCM 343 with 80A transmission for sale on Ski-it-again for a little less than 18k. 

https://www.ski-it-again.com/php/skiitagain.php?endless=summer&topic=Search&category=Motor_Inboard&postid=69104

• Baller

@jpwhit The Infinity ZX-1 is a V-Drive with a center mounted engine.

The boat's "ZX Drive" V-drive system consisted of a Hurth unit with a 1.29:1 reduction and an OJ 13" x 16" four-blade nibral propeller. According to the manufacturer, the key to the ZX Drive system is that the prop and rudder are located farther forward on the hull, which enhances handling.

• Like 5

• Baller
14 hours ago, Broussard said:

@jpwhit The Infinity ZX-1 is a V-Drive with a center mounted engine.

Learn something new everyday.....

Seems like this will create some complexity in changing out the engine to be ZO capable.

You'll need an engine configured the way they are setup in v-drive boats. The engine is flipped around so the exhaust manifolds have to be configured in the opposite direction. On a lot of engine, you can flip the exhaust system around, but it gets more complicated with the newest engine with catalytic converters. There are a lot more clearance issues and cooling plumbing that makes it much tricker to convert an engine that was intended for direct drive. 

Switching out the transmission, if desired for reliability, may also be a little more complex. 

Is the setup currently in the boat a separate transmission and v-drive gearbox? Or is it a combined unit?

Another potential hurdle for converting this boat to ZO, all the new engines available have catalytic converters. The existing engine box may not be larger enough to allow for such an engine without modifications or replacement. 

• Baller
2 hours ago, jpwhit said:

Learn something new everyday.....

Seems like this will create some complexity in changing out the engine to be ZO capable.

You'll need an engine configured the way they are setup in v-drive boats. The engine is flipped around so the exhaust manifolds have to be configured in the opposite direction. On a lot of engine, you can flip the exhaust system around, but it gets more complicated with the newest engine with catalytic converters. There are a lot more clearance issues and cooling plumbing that makes it much tricker to convert an engine that was intended for direct drive. 

Switching out the transmission, if desired for reliability, may also be a little more complex. 

Is the setup currently in the boat a separate transmission and v-drive gearbox? Or is it a combined unit?

Another potential hurdle for converting this boat to ZO, all the new engines available have catalytic converters. The existing engine box may not be larger enough to allow for such an engine without modifications or replacement. 

I’m not seeing why the tranny output going to a Vdrive (Walter’s?) or driveshaft would have any bearing on the feasibility of the project.  Same issues present themselves when putting the same new long block in a DD or VD wakeboard boat.  I would agree that if it is using a 1 piece tranny/vdrive like a skivee? That would create a bigger issue but I’m pretty sure that in ‘01, tranny and VD were separate components.

O, and if you ever get the chance to drive an infinity, it’s a hoot.  OP, If you don’t have the external strakes, may want to look into them.  Kris Lapoint could help I bet.

• Baller_

no big deal with the infinity repower.  contact Skip Dunlap. he is sitting on a few 5.7 new excalibur engines and transmission packages. they are listed on ski it again.. every thing will be plug and play. will need a adapter harness to go between the engine and hull harness..

• Baller
3 hours ago, buechsr said:

I’m not seeing why the tranny output going to a Vdrive (Walter’s?) or driveshaft would have any bearing on the feasibility of the project.  Same issues present themselves when putting the same new long block in a DD or VD wakeboard boat.  I would agree that if it is using a 1 piece tranny/vdrive like a skivee? That would create a bigger issue but I’m pretty sure that in ‘01, tranny and VD were separate components.

Right, if it's standard PCM 40a trans with a separate v-drive then it won't be an issue. If it's a 40a with a modified tail housing so the v-drive can bolt to it, then that may be tricky. Or an all-in-one trans and v-drive unit would be a problem. 

3 hours ago, Jody_Seal said:

no big deal with the infinity repower.  contact Skip Dunlap. he is sitting on a few 5.7 new excalibur engines and transmission packages. they are listed on ski it again.. every thing will be plug and play. will need a adapter harness to go between the engine and hull harness..

Can the manifold / catalytic converters be flipped around to point the other direction on an EX343 setup for a direct drive so it'll work in a v-drive configuration. I know the exhaust ports on the heads are symmetrical, but I don't know if the manifold or catalytic converters will hit any obstructions. 

A guess a clue would be to see if PCM uses all the same part numbers in both cases. 

• Baller_

the PCM 343 that are on Ski-it -again are non cat. no problem, Series 80 1:1 go anywhere a 40 went. easy peasy for that infinity boat, direct replacement. add ZO  good to go. Walter V drive very robust gear seen the same unit in 40' fishing boats.

Bang for the buck only way to fly for a 5 year program. I am suprised that more college programs are not looking at re-power of what they own vs purchase semi new or new every 2- 5 years..

My 80's V-drive practice boat. notice the Airguide pittot through the cav plate on the port side. 15 off 36 mph was a blast behind this boat.stevens_flat_001.jpg

• Like 5

• Baller
3 hours ago, ReallyGottaSki said:

Excalibur was placed in many vdrives 

Sure, but for the Cat engines, that doesn't necessarily mean it's the same Cat and manifold parts for direct or v-drive. There are quite a few water cooling fittings and things are tight so it's conceivable they use slightly different parts based on the direction the exhaust needs to face. When you order an engine from PCM or Ilmor you specific if it's setup for direct or v-drive. 

Part of why I'm asking is because it will apply for the ZX-1 if the engine they get is setup for a direct drive. But I'm also interested because I have an Ilmor 6L that's currently setup for v-drive that I will likely put in my ProStar. So, I'm going to face the same situation. Of course, I'll figure it out when I try flipping the Cats and manifolds around, but it would be nice to know ahead of time. I know the answer for PCM vs Ilmor may be different. But it'll give an idea of what's typical.

Sounds like the engine's Skip has that I mentioned in my first post are non-Cat. So if they get that one, it shouldn't be a problem. 

• Baller

Skip.s package is 18k + labour.  I would maybe do it with a 196 to have ZO but an Infinity...not sure.

• Like 1

My ski finish in 16.95 but my ass is out of tolerance!

• Baller
4 minutes ago, ETskier said:

I seem to remember those Infinitys had a nasty 22 off rooster tail at 34mph. Drove like it was on rails though.

They did but Kris and Rob had some “hull-attachment devices” (we’ll call them strakes) that helped as I recall from almost buying a zx1 a few years ago.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• Baller

To the team:  I would serious figure out what you can get for your current boat and add in the budget for the conversion and then look at other options like the above.  Just so you know what you could get without getting stuck in a backwards v-drive forever.  I suspect you could get into a pretty nice SN196 for the same money.  

• Like 1