RTP NIGHTMARE !

• Baller

I  have been on rtp for decades, I Don,t know if they changed material, my rtp,s used to last for at least a season if not more.

My issue now is that, I  split the rubber at the back on the sides, where I lift my heel coming into the turn, I  have even tried to manufacture my own rubber and overlay, but alas they only last six sets, same with manufacturers ones, before they split on me.

Currently using a adjustable rtp, far from ideal, prefer the grip of rubber, any ideas welcome.

What are the pros using, theirs seem to hold out.

• Baller

what brand are you using? HO Just reengineered their RTP Rubber a year or two ago and the old one never used too last to long but with the new rubber I've had the same rubber for over a year with a ton of sets under my belt. Im a US 10 and use the 8-9 size (I have fairly fat feet). I Hate changing RTP Rubber so it's been a life saver for me.

• Baller

Hi Rob

Thanks for reply, using the HO , I  like the footed, I  have a small uk8 - us9 , foot but wide with high instep, generally have to buy bigger and cut the rubber to suit, expensive if you get it wrong as you can no longer buy just the rubber with overlay, the ones I  made by glueing neoprene to butyl rubber were very comfy, but alas they split at the back, frustrating as my rear foot does not feel secure on the adjustable radar rtp, would of gone for the HO adjustable, but impossible to modify the footbed to get my foot  close enough to the front,

• Baller

Last season the purchased the Reflex RTP, it has adjustable buckles like snowboard boots. You get a very secure fit. In the past I had to customize my rtp's due to a high arch but it was perfect for only two weeks during the season when like Goldilocks the water was" not too hot and not too cold but just right"🐻🐻🥲

• Baller

I had the same problem. I make a "franken-RTP" with the HO plate, and foot pattern, built by Wiley's with their rubber. Lasts at least a season, sometimes more. At first, I sent the pattern to Wiley's and built it myself. Excruciating process. It's worth it to pay Wiley's to build it for you.

• Baller

I use a D3 rear toe plate. Had the same one for 5 years, skiing 6-8 sets per week, without any problems.  I finally replaced it going into last season, & bought another D3. Highly recommend.

• Baller

I use d3 rubber and it lasts for many years, last one lasted for 9 years and current is on the 7th year and going strong. Their rubber is very durable probably same quality as Wiley’s or radar. But it lasts for years also because it’s tightened down securely with screws and nuts, not just wood screws screwed in the plastic.

I use a g10 plate, but the D3 one has many sets of holes and each rubber size is bolted on different set of holes so the foot stands on the right place. So if for example you want your foot further forward, instead of Frankensteined the rubber, you just move it one hole (or more) forward. 
I never had any experience with rtps that lasted for less than a year. Rubber brakes at th holes if it’s not properly tighten down.

Wiley’s has a very thin footbed and the new d3 is thicker now. 
so buy what you might prefer more.

• Baller

"Nightmare" seems like a bit of hyperbole. The RTP didn't fail on you mid-set and cause a horrible crash. You were smart and checked your gear. It does suck for something to not last. My current Radar ARTP is on it's last legs after only two seasons and I want to switch to the D3 because of that. At least replacement parts can be purchased for most of the rubber RTPs so it's not $100+ each time.

• Baller

@vtmecheng Actuallly it is over $100 a time, here in the UK you can only buy the complete RTP, parts available in the US are not a option as shipping costs from the US to the UK are ridiculously high even for small items, 

Shipping cost for RTP Rubber+overlay would be $70 to $100

• Baller

I am sorry that you have spent a few hundred on failed RTPs. I know personally how much it sucks to have expensive gear fail early, I had a $200 handle fail in the rubber after a season. It sucks. What is most important is that you didn't get hurt due to the failure, you checked gear and didn't keep skiing past the usable point. Are there no shops in the UK that sell binding overlays? Maybe some of the pros from the UK know where to get stuff and you could reach out either through this site or Instagram. Just a thought, I haven't looked into it.

• Baller

@vtmecheng  it,s the same with ropes and handles, gloves. Etc, what stores there are do not stock the good stuff or their range is limited, because the demand is not there, a lot of people rely on friends travelling to Florida, to bring stuff back for them.

Ropes, Handles, Gloves, get quite bulky, so even friends are limited to how much they are prepared to carry.

• Baller

Something to try, find an old backpack or anything with a nylon webbing buckle with an adjuster, cut the strap off.  Then remove the bars on the RTP and I'd go from outside in figure out where it should be and heat up a nail and melt a hole.  Attach that to the plate with a longer screw.

Attach the loose end to the other side.  That strap if on the third/rear nut of the toe plate will form a limiter to heel rise and prevent you tearing the rear of the rubber.  I may be a bit obnoxious pressure wise over your arch but you can put a bit of foam under it and tack it to the rubber with some rubber cement.

Another one that works OK is to take a popped bike innertube between the screws on the toe plate so you can pull tension outwards on the tube till its comfortable and then tighten the screws and cut off the extra tube, either way if you're splitting that you're pulling up.

• Baller

I was thinking Reflex R, cut away completely at the back, either wear a sock or a liner, maybe just line the shell with neoprene.

Two foot start so no issues getting foot in.

Anybody see a problem with this idea?