Swiss Pro Slalom - Sunday, May 5th, 2024

Click Here for the webcast

Skis I wish I would have kept...what were yours?

mike55

• Baller

1st is a Connelly Concept soft enough to help me ski right. Trashed the base (brand new ski) my first day on a private ski lake around the turn island at Ski Park. It was marred so I sold it and bought way too much ski for myself. Dumb.

2nd was my first D3 a Custom X. and...

3rd was the first year Sixam 2 Point. Ran back to back 34 mph passes right out of the box but it just lacked the cool factor. After all the big dawgs were riding the 1 Point. Wow even dumber.

The ever elusive Holy Grail of water skis. The journey continues.

Horton - my very 1st slalom ski ever was a 65" Mastercarft Mirage, wish I still had it to put in the corner with the old wooden Connelly Hook. 

I would also like my 2nd ski back - a 66" Duvall 9000, I got my 1st pass thru the course on that baby.

• Baller
65 Mastercraft Mirage, I got to borrow it for a year.  I got a second one, the one with the blue on it, but it never skied like the original.  Great ski, I would still ski on it today if I didn't have to give it back.

• Baller

I would have sworn it was a 65, but you are probably right.  It was a factory special. 

I actually took a set, a couple of years ago, on a wood maharaja with the original binders and ran 5@35.  You could put that ski between two chairs and jump up and down on it and it wouldn't flex.  That thing was awesome.

• Baller
2002 Mapple. I sucked in the course with that ski, but it put up a 30 ft wall of water pulling out from the wakes. All those cover shots of Parrish and Fisher were with the big spray Mapple. Crowd pleaser

• Baller

I still have a 64" EP Comp One that I got when I was 11 in my basement.  I haven't broken it out for my kids to ski on but I have thought about it.  I ran 34 mph into 28 off on that one back in the late 70s.

I would love to have one fo the old Mahas my dad had.  I still have a binding mounted up on a 68" Stinger that I skied on after the EP (I went through a huge growth spurt one winter).

• Baller
we have a 63" apex complete with wetboot in the boathouse that was bought at the worlds in Toronto afer Joel McClintok's world championship and used to ski on saucier's when we were kids, cool ski and the first fiberglass on our lakes.  I'll have to get a scan of a 70's version of my old 63" wooden sea glider with heel cup on back toe.  Good memories...

• Baller

I liked my EP Comp X2 so much I bought a second one when the graphics changed!

Still have one somewhere.

The ski I should have kept was my 9100 240AMP.  Never found a ski that I liked as much.  Got too crazy with a brillo pad. /vanillaforum/js/tinymce/jscripts/tiny_mce/plugins/emotions/images/smiley-cry.gif

• Baller

You've got respect anyone that can hang out by the lake in a suit like that.  You've got to admit, the 70's had style.

I don't buy skis often enough to miss an old one.  The new ski is always a huge step up.  I did love my O'Brien Pro Curcuit.  Especially when you could buy the matching vest and shorts:)

I never will froget my EP comp X2. I was riding the Connelly Shortline and was ragging on a friend of mine who had one. One evening we were footing and a boat ran over my ski. Sliced it up from one end to the other. I still have it and will post a pic if I get a chance.

The following morning we set up the course and I didn't have a ski. My buddy said ride my EP. At the time I was working on -22@36 and could only get about 2 or 3. My first set on it I smoked -22 and and backed it you with 4@-28.

I ordered one the following Monday, Talk about true love it was almost better than sex! 

• Baller

Hey Mike55,  I'm thinking I bought a Connelly F1 from you a few years ago.   I still ski that bad boy.   I'm getting old now and have been looking for something that doesn't require such hurculin effort.   It's a great ski, super stable and turns 90 no problem and takes me into 35 occasionally but lately it's just wearing me out.  Got any more cast offs that I should try?

• Baller
Hope Dawg isn't mad about the blue and red Sixam. I retired it to West Palm for my sets with Scoke and Roger. Might have to have it shipped back to Minny though. Not sking worth a darn on my RS-1 ltd! Wish I still had my Mastercraft Pro!

• Baller

Still skiing the best ski I've owned to date, a very early issue Radar MPD (marked #0028).  I liked the 68" yellow/black CR7 a lot too, one of my buds is still skiing on it.  Liked the D3 Custom X that replaced the CR7 too.  But this MPD is the best ski I've ridden to date.

Ed

Horton,

Not for steel reserve. I dont have a CR7 in minn to try. There was one in the shed and there was a guy from west Tx that was skiing on one. I rode the yellow and black for 2 years. 2@38 would be no problem, just start at -22 to get a feel for it and then run it down the line. Heck, I made it through on the RCX.     

• Administrators

The last RCX I rode was a very very good ski. The last CR7 I rode  . . . . I thought it was a joke. Not a joke like bad.... I mean I thought the guy who loaned it to me was screwing with me.

Goode HO Syndicate   KD Skis ★ MasterCraft ★ PerfSki  

Radar ★ Reflex ★ S Lines ★ Stokes

Drop a dime in the can