A1 settings

rod0041

I just started skiing on my A1... 3 sets under my belt... The good news is I set a new PB - i'm not a shortline skier... just started skiing the coarse last summer. I am left foot forward, ski is 66.25". As good as this ski is performing - the ski is wanting to skip out on my offside turn - fin and boot settings are per factory spec - except since I am only skiing 15 and 22off I did not use a wing the first couple sets, after the second set I put the wing on at 5degrees.. the ski was still wanting to skip out. Any suggestions on what I should do with the fin or boot placement??

• Baller

Rod, the wing at 5 degrees may have hurt you more than help you. Stock, HO calls for 9 deg. Because of the plane angles of the ski and wing, at 5 deg it might be providing lift. 

What are all the fin measurements and where are the bindings? HO has these #s for stock:

29.5" to rear of front binding
6.84" length
2.508" depth
.770" DFT
wing 9

I have the fin and bindings as stock as per the numbers you listed - the only diff is that the first couple sets I didnt use the wing, the last set I used the wing at 5degrees - I'm not skiing beyond 22off and therefore felt that using the wing wasnt required. When I used the wing it skied worse and I still experienced chatter on my offside turn.

• Baller
I'm with dawg, either don't run the wing or at least run 7-8 degrees. The planing angle of the ski partly dictates the wing angle. The only skis that really run wings less than 8 degrees are the D3 products. Some of their skis call for 7 degrees stock and I've run as low as 6.  But on that A1 I wouldn't run less than 8 if you run one.

I'm no expert on fin settings - what adjustments should I make to the fin to add tip on the offside?? add depth to the fin?? should I use the wing at 8degrees with these adjustments? or should I go without the wing??

• Baller
how did it go Rod? It was good to talk to you the other day. Looks to me like different binding plates can put you in a slightly different spot. Example...an Animal will have a mid hole that puts you back a touch compared to a Wiley or...Where did you end up with your Radar setup from the tail? I didn't measure so I apologise but think MS is onto something with just a touch forward. Stock fin settings I haven't touched. You know its funny, I rode a 2nd or 3rd quality 66.25 A1 with nasty brown dots or stains in the base of the ski. Has great flex numbers. The top and everything else is perfect. Have not touched the fin. Just 1 hole forward and it just rips. I may buy that ugly duckling. Thinking you can ride 4 different A1's and they will all feel a bit different. Been waiting on an S1 but its like why? Will be interested in hearing more S1 chatter.