Who is on it and what is the review?

• Baller

I saw a guy on one this weekend and he had moved off the A1 onto the S1 when it came out.  I was at Coble's last week and many of the coaches including April are still on the A1.  I think given that the S1 came out in the middle of the season you might not see a ton of people try it until the big tournaments are over for the season.

I got an A1 last week but I didn't try the S1 because I was looking for a big ski and the A1 comes in 68.75. 

• Baller

Speaking of Regionals, I am surprised that 38 was only run twice in mens 3 and 4 and once in mens 5 at Laku.  I was expecting more. 

Nice sking Richard!  Way to step up in the runoff.

The Horton clan was well represented in Colorado, with one notable exception...

You Asked…Here it is ( Two Reviews Z7 & S1)

This year is dedicated to finding a new ski for me.  M4, 180-185, LFF, Rubber front , RTP, 35 off every time if I have “a ski working under meâ€Â.  Coming off an initial production 68â€ÂMPD which I still have in case I don’t find a “better†ski.

I have about 8 sets on a 67†S1 and I’m really liking it……more in a bit.

Z7

I had about 12-15 sets on a 67†Z7 (over the last month) and although I really liked many aspect of the ski….I just couldn’t get it “right†under me in all aspects of the course. It gave me very smooth hookups, predictable stable turns, and the most secure, stable, powerful pull position of any ski I have ever ridden. Fast across course (without feeling fast), wide and early into the next ball…….what more do you want you might ask!......Well, a ski that turns quickly enough! The problem I had with the ski is that I was very consistently losing ground down course….in the turn. I am generally a hard turning type skier, so this was a new problem for me. All consensus from my ski buds was that I was skiing well….looked good….just needed to turn earlier.  And the problem was on both sides. No matter what I tried, I was not able to quicken up the turn initiation. Starting @ stock, I moved bindings, tried various fin adjustments….all of which for the most part were worse than the stock #’s……with one exception. Taking out a few thousandths of depth helped a bit…….but a few more and it began to feel like I was working too hard in the pull for what I was getting…..a point of diminishing returns.   Recall, in the skis propaganda…D3 tried to engineer out the “all-at-once-turnâ€Â….well, they did! I sent the ski back to D3…….failed experiment for me…..but the ski was “always†stable….. It never did “bite†me.

S1

I jumped on the 67†S1, stock numbers, and first set (according to me & my ski buds) skied the best I have skied in two years……right up to last year’s PB 4@38 and “running it – really looking good!â€Â.....not scraping. The only problem is that this set up tends to get me into a “lean-lock/crash†scenario when I really push it in the pull (both sides!). It is progressively grabbing more & more angle as I approach the wakes…which I can’t seem to relieve with body position corrections. When I go easier, it feels like I am working hard to get & keep the ski on edge and get angle. So I am trying adjustments……so far I’ve: 

1)      Jumped straight to Greg Badal’s numbers (which he set-up for me while here at the Michigan Big Dawg). Basically less length, less depth and increased DFT.  Result was no good for me. The ski was tail sliding way too much for me in the turn.  Couldn’t run a 35 – period.

2)      Back to stock…. Result, still good but with the lean lock problem.

3)      Reduced DFT about .005.  Result, no lean lock problem…but tamed down the ski a bit too much.

4)      Added back .003. Result no lean lock…. Back to running easy 35s and “skiing well† into mid 38’s multiple times.  But I still want more from the ski……If it would only feel like the Z7 did while in the pull!

5)      Moved front binding back 1/8â€Â(thinking maybe I’m not in the sweet spot). Result, No good!  The ski when away… couldn’t hardly do a thing.

6)      Next??????????  Front binding forward an 1/8�, which will probably add too much tip for me on the off side….which I would have to tune out via fin changes (reduce length,  DFT change?), Yuck…that’s a merry-go-round…probably

It may be that the very near stock setting will be best for me on this ski.

By the way, Greg skied well at the Michigan Big Dawg, on a 66†S1. He did recommend to me that I try a 66â€Â…. that the 66â€Âseems to work better for him at deep short line. But the dealers around here don’t seem to have one ….and the factory apparently is not currently producing them and won’t tell us when they will be available. I really want to try one.

Tried the RS1 last year and liked it……it’s time to try that again.

An Elite is available for me to try….but….What if I really like it?.....the wife wouldn’t then like me as much.

John M

John,

Good review. I tried the 66 with Gregs set up and felt the same thing you did. I also felt the same on the Z7, but only took a set. It was clean and stable but the ski likes longer drawn out turns than I like to use.

I went back to the RS1 after 2 A1s, tried the Z7, S1 and 8 sets on the elite. Good Luck.    

MS, Tried the 67" white RS-1 that night with your settings. Let me put it this way........It felt as if I was driving a formula 1 race car......except that instead of being in the cockpit, I was sitting on a tricycle built for a 5 year old which was mounted on top of the rear spoiler of the car!!!!! There just was not enough ski under me. I over corrected on everything I did. It was a rocket ship for sure......but would bite in the turn even when I was trying to stay neutral and countered, and wheelie if I pressed on the back.......can't take the front binding back any more cause stock already has me all the way back. I think for me......and my 185# naked weight.....the 68 would be a better match (not available to me at the moment).  That was Tuesday. Last night (Wednesday) I hopped on a 67" Elite. After 45 minutes tapping and measuring and more of the same again and again (Obrian...please pay of the rights to use a set screw fin box), the ski felt solid (29.5, 6.838, 2.5115, .7835) except a bit too much tip on the off side. Before hurting myself I decided to move the binding back an 1/8". The ski tamed down in the toe side turn....but I was really .......I mean "Really" surprised how much input I had to give the ski to come around mid turn.  Solid feel all the way but not "on the rails" like the RS-1. This ski just basically went where ever I told it to go. Bottom line though....was that I couldn't ski up to my "normal" practice buoy count. I really think that given time and the correct adjustments, that I would.......or should I say ....will……as I will get some more time on it.  The ski did not feel as effort saving to me as others alluded to. My bet is adjustment.....maybe a bit more DFT...........then maybe just a bit less depth if warranted.......but that will take another hour of fin adjusting;-(. So tonight I got the 67" S1 back....a ski I can actually ski well on. Two sets are planned, hopefully with some work @ 38 then it’s off to Regionals. MS, I assumed you'll be there........It would be great to chat for a few about all this.....hopefully we can look each other up.  John M

Hi John,

No regions or nats for me this year this year.

You felt the same thing on the Elite as I did. I am 170 wet on the 67 RS1 and its perfect. I would have thought that after the MPD you would light up the RS1. Keep us updated on the S1. Good luck.

• Administrators

What are Gregs S1 Settings? I rode the ski for the first time last night and really liked it. Was third ride of day and 5th in two days so I was worked by then.

http://twitpic.com/show/thumb/cfokr.jpg

All that said. I ran a couple of 32s and 35s that felt great.

Goode HO Syndicate   KD Skis ★ MasterCraft ★ PerfSki  

Radar ★ Reflex ★ S Lines ★ Stokes

Drop a dime in the can