Goode 9500 with Inserts?

Skihack

• Baller
Yes,   out of necessity for stripped holes.    I used the yellow plugs that Goode sends out.  They worked very well.  I followed the installation instructions that came with them, except that I also secured them with a very light coat of JB Weld. 

• Members
Yes, I installed inserts into my 9500.  Used brass inserts secured with JB Weld and used stainless square drive machine screws with Locktite.  Purchased the inserts and screws with drill-stop from mcfeelys.com.  They work great.  Prior to installation the screws constantly backed out even when secured with silicone.  Ultimately a few screws stripped (there is nothing for them to bite into - Dave, are you listening? WE WANT INSERTS) and thus my decision to install inserts.  I should have done it from the beginning - or better yet Dave should have put them the ski to begin with, but I won't mount that soap box.  I won't be purchasing another Goode. 

• Baller
I came even begin to wonder why Goode's do not have inserts. Either it is a business decision to increase powershell on powerplate sales or the material really weakens when blocks are put in. That's the only two things I can come up with that make sense to me.

• Baller

Drills are designed to drill forward. You will ruin the bit running it backwards (OK bits are cheap) but it will not drill a correct dimension hole (also OK if you know where it will end up). The better way is to use a drill stop (cheap and available).

Brass wood 8-32 inserts JB welded work really well. I never use Loctite, I use anti sieze - I have enough trouble with inserts backing out. A fresh batch of JB weld and I can reinstall the insert. My skins are thin and light but I have rarely pulled out the insert (and none of my many broken skis have broken at the inserts). When I have pulled out an insert, there is an oversized insert to replace the original. Just make sure you get the smaller ones to start with (I think I got some from McFeeleys or somewhere online). Of course it is easy to install the inserts after the self tapping screws have pulled out (that is a common failure for me).

Doesn't Goode allow a few screws?

Eric