Hip pain

thager

• Baller

Skied 3 rounds at MS' Tourney last weekend. Have had a sore hip ever since.

Not sure what is causing the pain. Feels like the the right hip socket. Have a constant ache with loss of strength. I can hardly push my right foot into my shoe! If I stand in ski stance LFF and counter to right it hurts like the dickens!! Any one have something similar or know some therapy?

Is it your rear hip?

Mike McCormick recommended rotating my rear boot to get rid of pretty bad ongoing rear hip pain. Mike rattled off names of 3-4 skiers that have had their rear hips replaced including one of Lapoint brothers and Lucky.

At the time I was on Wiley rear boot - trimmed plate front and rear until d-rings were very near edge of ski. Took awhile to get used to setup, but fixed my hip 100%. It's probably not optimum setup, but it was worth it. Had to figure out how to get rear knee in behind front knee...

I have hip pain when I ski everyday. It’s my right hip (rear hip). Chiropractor said it was my nerves in my lower back. I have an inversion table that I hang on everyday…seems to help, but if I ski everyday nothing helps.

Everyone works out of their own paradigm, so I would always expect a chiropractor to treat many problems as nerve related. All I can tell you is that my Dad used to visit a chiropractor 5 or 6 times a year. Since then he has begun to visit a physical therapist (albeit one who's roster includes several MLB), and the  exercise plan has made the chiropractor almost superfluous. 

• Baller

And another anecdotal diagnosis:

I've had hip pain on both sides caused by two differing things.

First was my left hip (rear leg). It was painful to the touch and I could barely ski. Between a P.T., chiro and Jones (of course he was on the money) figured it out down to too tight of a hamstring and too tight of a quad, and tight hip flexor. I stretched it non-stop for about two weeks and was pain free. Not only did i do traditional hamstring/quad stretches, i stretched my hip out using similar to these: the lying on the back stretch hit the spots http://www.drbackman.com/piriformis-muscle-stretch.htm

Second time was my right hip. It was directly related to a piriformis pain in between my gluteus max/min; caused by sitting in a hard chair at work. the pain would be shooting into my right hip bown up into my back. I thought it was lumbar but again found the piriformis stretches eased up the tension, of course i switched chairs too. Amazingly everything worked.

• Baller_
I get the pain of lower back/left hip when I haven't been stretching enough.  It's related to being RFF, so the left hip gets tight.  The chiro can't even get my S I joint to crack when it's tight.  The stretch of the right quad seems to relieve the tension after a couple of days.  I quit taking Advil daily, so now I feel it more.  I blame it on becoming a M4 skier last season.

Also had 2-3yrs of SI alignment issues - PT was big part of solution showing me how to stretch, mobilize, & strengthen - certainly recommend this as the goal is to put you in control. When I started skiing again after many years off, this actually fixed 99% my SI issues. Was already doing piriformis, ham, hip-flexor/soas stretches, and general hip socket retraction 2x daily prior to when skiing started bothering rear hip & hamstring. I swear rotating rear boot was pretty much an immediate fix for me.

• Baller
I've had my left hip surgically reshaped in 2004 to try and slow down the damage being done to my hip due to an oversized femur head.  I can say that my left hip no longer hurts but the right one has been bothering me quite a bit this summer.  I have the same condition in my right hip that I had in my left hip prior to the surgery.  I've just been waiting for the process to get a little less invasive and have a quicker recovery time.  I am RFF but I'm not convinced that slalom has been affecting my hip.  I think that tricking may be though.